More snaps of my small Aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Homestead ,FL
Here are a few pics of my recently acquired Aldabra. He/she still has the marking on the shell from being shipped- I figure they will wear off over time.
I've had the animal for just over a month and it has already gone from 420 grams to 605!
In the photos you can see it browsing the yard for tasty weeds and grass! Sorry for they blurs, my camera is not the best.

Attachments

• 2013-07-22_18-20-02_966.jpg
    2013-07-22_18-20-02_966.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 292

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Makes me want to adopt another smaller one :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using TortForum mobile app

ben awes

5 Year Member
Holycow said:
Here are a few pics of my recently acquired Aldabra. He/she still has the marking on the shell from being shipped- I figure they will wear off over time.
I've had the animal for just over a month and it has already gone from 420 grams to 605!
In the photos you can see it browsing the yard for tasty weeds and grass! Sorry for they blurs, my camera is not the best.

Great looking tort Holycow! and great detail on the pics. How's he/she doing? what's her weight now?

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I forgot I posted all this. Been very busy lately. I'll get an updated weight tomorrow. I need to find my other camera, it is lower megapixels, but has much better optics. Everything I posted here so far has been with my phone. With any luck I can get a few pics with good detail so the growth will be visible.
He/she has been growing like crazy. I've been feeding some different types of spring mix , soaked orchard hay, plus optuna cactus and lots of hibiscus leaves (and a flower now and then). Most of the day it just eats the weeds (there are many) growing in it's enclosure. Since I don't know what all these plants are I like to give the above items to try to make it less likely that some potentially toxic weed is making up a significant % of it's daily diet.
On an interesting note several weeks ago my wife told me 2 tiny baby birds had fallen into the enclosure during some wind. I went out to find them... and nothing was there. The tortoise was however munching on some material that looked like egg shells. I have a strong suspicion it ate the birds. My wife said they were pink and tiny with no feathers. Laying where the tortoise was now sitting. I looked everywhere and they definitely were gone. Beyond this I have not been adding any supplements to the diet.
I've never seen a tortoise eat so much so fast as this tiny aldabra. As soon as I put him out in the morning, he goes straight to eating -browsing taking a few steps then a bite here a bite there. This continues for like 2 hours, then a lot of time getting just in the perfect position balancing 50/50 between shade and sun... then napping, then back to eating, then back to finding the perfect nap location... repeating until about 4 pm when he finds the darkest corner and goes to sleep. I bring him in just before dark. Very fun animal!

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Well, I ended up working all day so I didn't get any of the photos I has planned. I did manage to weigh he/she today, all of 780 grams. looking at the weights and dates since I received the animal, it has a weight gain of over a gram a day! I'll have to do the math later and post exactly what the increase has been.
Does anyone have a log with the weight increase of their aldabras from a very young age? I'm curious to see what the "normal " rate is... if there is one... hmmm don't know how relevant that data will be, lots of variables there. Oh well.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Closeup as it explores the jungle.

DSC04425.JPG
Holycow said:
Closeup as it explores the jungle.

Attachments

• DSC04424.JPG
    DSC04424.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Wow, long neck! I love how dark s/he is.

May[TURTLE]
Hermannis: Darwin & Wallace
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
DSC04414.JPGHeading for the water! I thought I might get a pic of it drinking, but it just sat down near the waters edge and rested. You can see how moist everything is in this group of photos, this is not from a watering system or anything, this is just the normal morning dew/ humidity in S. Florida.

Taking a rest.
DSC04410.JPG

Lots of food and lots of space, it seems to be enjoying itself. DSC04429.JPG

DSC04404.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just love, love the new pics. You have one where there's a side profile. I saved that pic. It looks so surreal. Thanks for sharing.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.