More Russian Tortoise eggies!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Talk about a one sided relationship! :eek: Sounds like Timmy was kind 'taking advantage' of Roz... 'for the species', if you know what I mean... ;) I do hope all those gorgeous eggs have little gorgeous babies that will do just fabulous... :D
Thank you. All of the Springtime eggs hatched. :) So I'm feeling hopeful!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the info. I have always been interested in maybe breeding my Russians but wasn't sure of the age that females needed to be. Do you know the rough age they start and finish laying them? I do understand that their environment plays a huge part
Thanks!

Again, age doesn't really play into their breeding ability as much as size does. Joe Heinen states on his website (www.russiantortoise.net) that females need to be 5.5" or larger, I think. I have several females that size that haven't laid yet. Timmy laid for the first time last year (eggs didn't develop though), and she is larger than that. Similarly to other species, I am sure the females start ovulating at a wide range of ages. :) Sorry to give you such a vanilla answer... it isn't an exact science.

Magilla504

That was my understanding too. I was just curious what you knew about it since your becoming so experienced lately:) gotta love russiantortoise.net. I read it all the time!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
UPDATE: Lady laid 2 more beautiful eggs today. She laid a clutch outside on Aug 31st, and she didn't seem to mind laying indoors at all. She dug a nice deep hole under the basking spot, laid the eggs, and covered them up, all in the space of about an hour.

Tortoisefan

That picture of the partially hatched lil tort. is about the cutest thing I have ever seen. Gods amazing creation! Thanks for the pics!