More questions from the noob

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hey y'all. Has anyone has eggs dent slightly before hatching?

Yes...it’s not uncommon for the eggs to dent or in some cases swell or sweat before pipping. Sometimes the egg will dent so much, one would be surprised there would be turtle in the egg but then a healthy hatchling emerges.

Here is one of my eggs that dented pretty good before pipping.

IMG_4055.jpg

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Wow that's a big dent. Thank you very much for showing me that picture. My eggs have swelled up seriously.. they're like almost round. No clue what the heck the problem is..

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow that's a big dent. Thank you very much for showing me that picture. My eggs have swelled up seriously.. they're like almost round. No clue what the heck the problem is..
Humidity? temp? Incubating days? Incubating media? If the egg absorbs too much moisture they will swell....

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Humidity? temp? Incubating days? Incubating media? If the egg absorbs too much moisture they will swell....
Humidity is about 60-70 percent I dropped it a bit cuz they started to swell up. Temp 83 72 days into incubation now. And I have them in vermiculite and sphagnum moss. I just changed it out to new dry stuff cuz I wasn't sure if it was to wet and that's what was happening. To be honest I'm super confused. Everything has been perfect and gone perfectly until now. At first I thought the babies were causing the swelling. But yesterday seeing that baby I don't think they're causing it.. I will add a picture as well of the swelling

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
All the way to the right is a normal sized egg. Although the outer layer started coming off and on the bottom the egg is see through I can see baby right there. And the others are very swelled up. The one Al the way to the right was the one that was cut open and died.. 1566752046991.jpeg

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
And then here I circled a crack or a pip or whatever it might be. Alot of my eggs have what seems to be scratches on one end where the babies heads are. I haven't seen any bugs or anything in the incubator. IMG_20190825_120539.jpeg