More questions - diet and uk temps

Beads86

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi lovely helpful people. Can I just ask a couple more questions? I want to check Clives diet is ok. I’ve been feeding him a mixture of kale, lettuce and dandelion leaves with the occasional bit of cucumber and bell pepper (latter ones no more than once a week) I’ve also been sprinkling with vitamins 3 times a week. Is this ok for him?

also it’s starting to get warmer here in the uk (about 15c) and I’m thinking of letting him have a bit of outdoors time through the day under close supervision. Would he be ok outside for 30 mins to an hour or is it still too cold yet? I just feel mean having him cooped up all day and want him to get a bit more exercise....also finally, we have artificial grass in the back garden. Would he be ok on this?

thanks all

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, I've forgotten what species Clive is but now our temps are on the way up, some outdoor time should be Ok for him in a secure enclosure - safe from dogs cats, birds etc and as long as he has some shelter so he can get out of the sun to cool down if he wants, and a water tray. Some people use kiddie paddling pools for smaller torts if they don't have a safe enclosure yet.
Artificial grass is terrible for all animals and harbours bacteria - your tort could try to eat it.

Food wise he could do with more variety. My torts loves ribwort and broadleaf plantain, clover as well as dandies. Some lettuces are better than others, iceberg and little gem are too sweet and have little nutritional value. Radicchio, lambs lettuce, dark romaine leaves escarole, frisee red and green multileaf, batavia, are better. You'll get a good mix of those in the Aldi mixed leaf bags (45p) Florette Classic Crispy etc, Morrisons mixed leaf etc. Weeds are even better.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to safe plants

Beads86

Uk
Hi, I've forgotten what species Clive is but now our temps are on the way up, some outdoor time should be Ok for him in a secure enclosure - safe from dogs cats, birds etc and as long as he has some shelter so he can get out of the sun to cool down if he wants, and a water tray. Some people use kiddie paddling pools for smaller torts if they don't have a safe enclosure yet.
Artificial grass is terrible for all animals and harbours bacteria - your tort could try to eat it.

Food wise he could do with more variety. My torts loves ribwort and broadleaf plantain, clover as well as dandies. Some lettuces are better than others, iceberg and little gem are too sweet and have little nutritional value. Radicchio, lambs lettuce, dark romaine leaves escarole, frisee red and green multileaf, batavia, are better. You'll get a good mix of those in the Aldi mixed leaf bags (45p) Florette Classic Crispy etc, Morrisons mixed leaf etc. Weeds are even better.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to safe plants
That’s brilliant! Thank you so much, especially on the Aldi tip! I’ll get the paddling pool out this weekend and give him some outdoor time. We have no other pets so should be safe as long as we keep watch for birds. Front lawn is a mess for a lawn but great for weeds so I’ll go on a forage for him as well while it’s nice. Love that I have you guys for advice! And Clive is a horsefield tort x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It's the Mixed Leaf salad in the pale green bag, I use it as a base and add the better stuff to it.
(The bistro/Italian packs have beetroot and some other leaves that aren't good foods for torts - you can check the contents on the Tortoise Table)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Forgot to say even though the bag says ready to eat I always soak it first because apparently the salad is washed with chlorinated water so it's an extra precaution, and it also re hydrates the leaves.
I pick out all the white stalky bits as they have no nutritional value and I also worry they could be choking hazard for little ones.

Beads86

Uk
Second time out and he was very happy having a wander!

Attachments

• 72105318-79F5-4B62-A145-9AD8BA43D5AA.jpeg
    72105318-79F5-4B62-A145-9AD8BA43D5AA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8