(more) proof closed chambers work

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I used to house both my sulcatas together in an open topped enclosure. Then I saw the light and found this wonderful place :p

I built both of them their own closed chambers and separated them. I did this because I knew it was the best way to help them grow healthy and strong, but also because Pistachio was always significantly smaller and lighter than Mr. Turtle. I am an over-worrier normally, so I was extra worried that Pistachio was so much smaller than his clutch mate, since I was feeding both of them exactly the same things. And naturally, due to the lack of any humidity whatsoever in their enclosure, they both started to pyramid.

Until today when I officially weighed them both for the first time.

Pistachio:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392405928.389978.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392405941.921917.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392405958.389172.jpg

Mr: Turtle:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392405971.488532.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392405982.221731.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392405996.305572.jpg

I am so excited that their humid environments are allowing their new growth to come in smooth! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][TURTLE]

I forgot to measure them before I put them back in their enclosures. They are currently munching on dandelion greens, so I will add the measurement pics later today [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

They are clutch mates, 10 months old, hatched last April. That's the most info I could get out of the pet shop guy, so I'm just going with April 1st as their birthday.

Closed chambers don't have to be fancy. It is entirely possible to make them on a budget, which is what I did. Bottom line, as long as it serves its intended purpose, it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
They both look great!! Congrats on such a fine job. You need to post pictures of their enclosures. What are the measurements of the enclosures? I am always looking for new ideas. Love pics!!

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thank you!

Here are their enclosures. Mind you they are not pretty in the least lol.

Mr. Turtle:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392412149.697278.jpg

Pistachio:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392412164.897578.jpg

I taped paper up around the sides because they were trying to dig out and get out of their enclosures. At the time, I wanted to be able to see into their enclosures, and I was too poor for plexi glass. But the paper has helped cut down on the digging.

Both enclosures are roughly the same size: the bigger Rubbermaid tub - 2.5' L x 1' W and the smaller tub 18" L x 12" W. MVB on the left, CHE on the right. Both tubs are connected by PVC pipe.

I keep their food, water dishes, hides, and cuttle bones in the bigger tub, and in the smaller tubs are their dish washing tub humid hides [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] best $1.97 I ever spent. I am so happy they both sleep in them at night.

Now that I have them in good closed chambers and they are growing like weeds, that it is time to start planning bigger closed chambers for them! [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thank you all! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH] I am a proud tort momma! [TURTLE][HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What a great thread. Thank you for posting this. I too am more worried about the "functionality" than the aesthetics of my enclosures. We have one member who calls these sort of small functional chambers "grow out" chambers. Meaning they serve the purpose of getting the tortoises to a certain size, so they can go live outside. They aren't meant to be pretty, long term homes. They are meant to provide excellent environmental conditions for a young tortoise to grow in. By the looks of your two tortoises, I'd say you have succeeded. :)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thank you Tom! That means a lot coming from you. These are definitely temp homes, I have a few sketches going of what I would like their outdoor enclosures to look like. These temp homes are working rather well, so much so that I may have to add on a third plastic bin for them [FLUSHED FACE][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Now that I have their closed chambers down, I am concentrating on improving their diet. This magical herbal hay from Tyler is due to arrive this afternoon, I guess I will see what all the fuss is about :p

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Barista5261 said:
Thank you Tom! That means a lot coming from you. These are definitely temp homes, I have a few sketches going of what I would like their outdoor enclosures to look like. These temp homes are working rather well, so much so that I may have to add on a third plastic bin for them [FLUSHED FACE][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Now that I have their closed chambers down, I am concentrating on improving their diet. This magical herbal hay from Tyler is due to arrive this afternoon, I guess I will see what all the fuss is about :p

Hi Batista,
Your sullies look great, I totally agree with You and Tom regarding doing the best for them. I'm always reading to inform about new things, you know to improve as much as I can my tortoise's life. I saw that you mention something about Herbal Hay could you tell me more... And where to get order it. I'm in San Diego area[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Thank you do much and I'm would love yo see in the future your outdoor in closure.
P.S. Be ready because as far as I remember Penny my sully grew from 365 to 1 1/2 pounds in about 2 months.

Thank you in advance Evy [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Evy said:
I saw that you mention something about Herbal Hay could you tell me more... And where to get order it. I'm in San Diego area[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
Thank you do much and I'm would love yo see in the future your outdoor in closure.
P.S. Be ready because as far as I remember Penny my sully grew from 365 to 1 1/2 pounds in about 2 months.

Evy, The Herbal Hay is a new product from TortoiseSupply.com
This link should take you to the product:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Dizisdalife said:
Evy said:
I saw that you mention something about Herbal Hay could you tell me more... And where to get order it. I'm in San Diego area[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Evy, The Herbal Hay is a new product from TortoiseSupply.com
This link should take you to the product:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay

Thank you so much. I ordered and Penny loves it.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Yaaaaaaay for herbal hay! I could smell it before I opened the box.

AZTortmom and I are convinced this is a new type of tortoise drug. I think my tortoises can smell it from the other side of their enclosures as soon as I put their food dishes down [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE] I've been sprinkling it on dry and they've been devouring it, but I'm gonna try rehydrating it today and see what happens [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup, it's good stuff. My kidlets really enjoy it [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][THUMBS UP SIGN]they are inhaling it too.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
More closed chamber smoothness to show off:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393892958.503025.jpg

:D he is 11 months old and measures 5" from top to bottom of his plastron.

More good progress with my darker sulcata:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393893040.151077.jpg

Same age and roughly the same length as his clutch mate [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Today's lesson: closed chamber + herbal hay + varied green veggies = super mega happy sulcatas that will one day grow up to be dinosaurs