More eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South, Texas
Ok so u prolly know by now my female sully Lucy laid eggs last month now my question is can she lay another clutch where she laid the last one last month? Because today she started digging the exact same place and its all wet like she urined to moist up the dirt. I just dont get because how does she know i took the eggs out? What if i wouldve left them there would she have unbarried them? She doesnt make a few test holes she just been using the same hole. Thanks for helping me.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The urinating part is common, She just pick the same spot!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, they will lay eggs in the same spot over and over. They tend to check out their area and find the place that is best. They are very smart and all of mine lay eggs in the same couple areas. So if you want to do natural incubation and let them incubate in the ground for nine months, then I block off a 3 feet by 3 feet area all the way around the area with cinder blocks so she can't dig in the same spot. Then what she usually does the next clutch is dig in the corner of the cinder blocks or an edge close to there. She will trample over her last clutch if they are not either collected or made so she can't dig in the same spot. This has been my experience.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had the same experience as Christy. They do dig test holes, but once they find the spot in their enclosure that suits them the best, they will keep laying in that same spot. And once they walk away from the "nest" where they laid their eggs, they don't give it another thought.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Ok so she finally laid 17 more eggs but 4 broke do to the hard ground i think she step on them since they where on top.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Well I'm sure she feels better! What are you going to do with them? Do you incubate or leave in the ground?

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
I incubate them i got family and friends that are interested in some the rest ill slowly sell them but i dont mind keeping some. I think next time ill prolly let nature take care off them and leave them in the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.