Monthly Photo Contests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
What do you all think about holding monthly TFO photo contests? The winners could receive gift certificates with limits on how often you can win. We could also eventually make the monthly winners the calendar photos...
Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Josh said:
What do you all think about holding monthly TFO photo contests? The winners could receive gift certificates with limits on how often you can win. We could also eventually make the monthly winners the calendar photos...
Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns?

I think this would be really cool, especially if you could vary the prizes a bit. (Not all advertising for the same company).
I only say that because TFO is sort of on the forefront of devising how the 'right' way to care for tortoises is, and if there are clear ties to one supply company, it makes the forum seem more biased and less credible.

But, anything that makes more people flock to TFO is obviously good for the tortoises.
Great idea!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I'd love that. I forgot to enter the last contest, but I have tons of great pictures I'd love to enter.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Kayti said:
I think this would be really cool, especially if you could vary the prizes a bit. (Not all advertising for the same company).
I only say that because TFO is sort of on the forefront of devising how the 'right' way to care for tortoises is, and if there are clear ties to one supply company, it makes the forum seem more biased and less credible.
Great idea!

No need to be politically correct here. If you don't like me, just say it in the post ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

I like the idea also, BUT, those of us with cheaper camera's can't apply because of your camera requirements. But look at some of my pictures of Bob, they are great but they don't qualify in the megapixel range...if megapixels are the right word please don't shoot me. But if you are just talking about a monthly contest for fun and entertainment make the camera requirements easier or a group of us will be left out. I'd hate for Bob to lose out because I can't afford a better camera...

Here's an example...

dlmaue.jpg

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Maggie we can absolutely include all photo sizes but smaller photos can't be used in print like for calendars... They just don't look pretty on paper.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What happened to the last contest did we even get to vote on the photos or not? Who won I didn't get to see it. :(

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Well said Maggie. I think if it isn't for a calendar I don't see the reason for the megapixel requirement. I also agree with Kayti and think that is actually very important to do. Very cool idea! :)

Candy-There was a thread on it and a note on the main page.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Kate for the information. I have to now go look at the picture that won. Where have I been I didn't even get to vote on any picture. :(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie, I love that pic of Bob (well to tell the truth, I love all the pics of Bob :D)

M

Maggie Cummings

Isa said:
Maggie, I love that pic of Bob (well to tell the truth, I love all the pics of Bob :D)

I thought I would take some pix of him where he wasn't eating squash! He's awesome looking! Very handsome Bob with his bumpy nose...

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I think we'd best accommodate everyone if we had bi-monthly photo contests where any photo can be submitted and also a calendar contest near the end of the year.

M

Maggie Cummings

That sounds good to me, that way I can borrow my son's fancy camera, a one time shot for the calendar...

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
Sounds great, Josh.

The rat forum I'm on does a monthly photo contest, the two pictures with the most votes get to be on the main page of the forum. The first place winner is up for the first 2 weeks of the month and the second place winner up the last 2 weeks of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.