MONTANA!! - No Country for Old Tortoises

Hjulmgunnar

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
I live in Montana. This is not a very populated state, despite being the third largest in the continental US. Montana in a sense is a big rural community, where just about everyone knows at least one person in very town. It's nice, really a great place to live.

And Montanans in general are animal lovers; you can find dogs, cats, horses, and lizards like nobody's business. But there are no tortoises in Montana! I haven't come across a soul who knows of any tortoise enthusiasts, breeders or anything, not even online. I think it's a little odd.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: No Country for Old Tortoises

Well the weather there is not all that "tortoise friendly" and tortoises really do best outside in most cases...

I'm sorry you are so alone up there, but you can talk to us all you like!

Hjulmgunnar

Montana

It would be nice to have a tortoise community here is all.
I have to say Montana's weather is quite bipolar, but once June hits my Russian lives the Sunshine we get, but there is a lot of pulling them in and out of doors, so I can see where you're coming from.

But honestly I think its more to do with even people who are interested in becoming tortoise wranglers here have no solid local network to start.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Oh, they're out there! I've been keeping an EXCEL spread sheet of our members and where they are, and just now, checking the list I came across over 12 members in Montana...there were more but I quit looking. However, I really didn't recognize many of the names on the list, so I don't think they post very often. I'm going to move this to the "regional topics and requests" section and put "Montana" in your subject line and we'll just see if there are any active members on here.