Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I was wondering how many of you have or have kept monitor lizards ? I myself have kept blackthroated, savanna, and a water monitor. Presently I have a Timor and find her fascinateing.

poison

5 Year Member
ive had a nile years back but i wont be getting any monitors any time soon to much work for me lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've kept a bunch. I love them. Waters, mangroves, Savannah's, Blackthorats, dumeril's, niles, and of course my tegus which are sort of like a monitor.

They are all fascinating. I've wanted to try to keep a small colony of Ackies in a large enclosure and give them a try for a while now. I've heard they are pretty cool, but have no experience with them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My grandson has a really big Tegu. When that thing poops, you have to open the windows and doors and spend the next hour outside while the house airs out.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Tom said:
I've kept a bunch. I love them. Waters, mangroves, Savannah's, Blackthorats, dumeril's, niles, and of course my tegus which are sort of like a monitor.

They are all fascinating. I've wanted to try to keep a small colony of Ackies in a large enclosure and give them a try for a while now. I've heard they are pretty cool, but have no experience with them.
I also want to start an Ackie colony but the breeder that I feel most comfortable with had afire in the breeding facility wiping them out, so I wait. I am espically interested in the Odotria subgenus.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I currently have a savanah and a tegu but have kept a lot more had get rid of the larger species how is your timors personality? I've been debating one of these for a while! My Sav and tegu ate like puppy's (as was my water but she's at a zoo now :( )

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
She's a display animal. Timors are not really a take out and handle monitor and tend to be shy but with the right habitat (hiding area, plenty of climbing/basking features and swimming area appropriate to size) they display well and the behaviour is fascinating.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I have had water monitors, mangrove, black roughnecks...always wanted perenties.

Deac77

5 Year Member
oh man you read my mind! parentie is the like #1 animal on my wish list

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Deac77 said:
oh man you read my mind! parentie is the like #1 animal on my wish list
Unforunately like most Aussie animals it will likely remain on wishlists. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think it is smart for any country to completely ban the importation or exportation of an and all animals regardless of any circumstance. A lot of good can come from moving a few animals around.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Tom said:
I don't think it is smart for any country to completely ban the importation or exportation of an and all animals regardless of any circumstance. A lot of good can come from moving a few animals around.
I have to agree. In the case of Australia, there are several animals that are commonly bred and available (I'm mostly famaliar with Bluetongues, monitors, and cockatoos). There are some I would love to my hands on such as the shinglebacks, melanistic and albino bluetongues and smaller monitors such as storri.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
I had a desert... She was the best... Her name was Isabelle... Im not sure how old she was (I was working at a animal hospital and someone abandoned her) but she lived for about 15 years... She wasn't "cuddly" but she was definitely well handled and very personable :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Atra42o said:
I had a desert... She was the best... Her name was Isabelle... Im not sure how old she was (I was working at a animal hospital and someone abandoned her) but she lived for about 15 years... She wasn't "cuddly" but she was definitely well handled and very personable :)
A petshop in town has one of those for sale. How did you have it setup? I find them interesting being the most northern specie of monitor that actually hibernates (and eats russian torts).

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Itort said:
A petshop in town has one of those for sale. How did you have it setup? I find them interesting being the most northern specie of monitor that actually hibernates (and eats russian torts).

We actually built an enclosure about 8' by 6' by 5' w/wood and screen... It had 2 levels... She had a heat rock and lamp, sand substrate, water bowl , etc... Ummm what else would u like to know?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I was just curious. I'm pretty much sticking to dwarf monitors now, a large monitor takes more room than I devote to it and with dwarf/tree monitors the enclosure has a small footprint with large vertical height.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Itort said:
I was just curious. I'm pretty much sticking to dwarf monitors now, a large monitor takes more room than I devote to it and with dwarf/tree monitors the enclosure has a small footprint with large vertical height.

Lol yeah, they are alot like caring for a Sulcata... When u are ready, they make fascinating pets... Good luck :)

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I've had a few savannahs and an ornate nile. I could never get them to calm down. The savannahs were ok but not dog tame like some of the ones you see. I really want a tegu next, I hear they are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.