Monday's Totality!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, I didn't actually look up to the sky, but I was outside working at 9:03a when it was supposed to happen, and I didn't notice anything different about the light. I guess you would have had to look at it to notice it. I was thinking about eons ago when the natives experienced an eclipse and their world went dark and they all got scared. I guess that was only in the movies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well, I didn't actually look up to the sky, but I was outside working at 9:03a when it was supposed to happen, and I didn't notice anything different about the light. I guess you would have had to look at it to notice it. I was thinking about eons ago when the natives experienced an eclipse and their world went dark and they all got scared. I guess that was only in the movies.
Yvonne, the totality part takes place around 10:15am +\- a few minutes. And I'm terrified here. I'm wishing I had a chicken whose head I could cut off and then spin it around my head to help guarantee that the sun will return. I'm just wanting to do my part to help save the world. (Really it's for the tortoises)!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I was wrong. I went outside about 15 minutes ago and there is a noticeable lessening of light. It's sort of like a slightly overcast day. But the big thing I DO notice is it's quite cool. It was so comfortable out there that I grabbed my hoe and chopped weeds for a while, never even working up a sweat. Thank you, Moon!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just don't get it. I've been looking at sites on the 'net, especially those from Oregon, and people are SO excited to witness this phenom. Why? I don't see the big deal. I guess I'm just old and jaded.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . then next year, in July, you'll have a total eclipse. Get your glasses. Time to prepare

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well, 10:46am and the sun is still slowly coming back. The selfies that I took don't look all that special, but you can see the corona that otherwise would be completely washed out. Here's my "old fashioned" viewer…ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338018.357798.jpg these are all from during the "event"ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338099.165032.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338117.159570.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338132.084131.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338146.928897.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338171.125046.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503338189.195303.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
. . . then next year, in July, you'll have a total eclipse. Get your glasses. Time to prepare
Got glasses, I've seen a few, including when it really did get rather dark.
Quite scary despite knowing what was happening.
I love 'em. :)
Thanks, Yvonne, hadn't heard of this one, have to look it up!
Oh, goody!

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Right, off out to buy pop, again, wifey off to buy gin.
Golly.
See you all in a bit
Oooooppppssssssss!!!!!!!!!
Wrong thread ! :oops:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Was not impressive here. Very cloudy day. Not really noticeable as far as it getting darker as it was already darker due to the cloudy overcast.
Next one in 7 years. Hope it's a clear day for that one.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I shot it and I took shots, Haha. The boyfriend used my digital camera and I did a pile of film photos on the other cameras pictured just for fun.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The local news just showed two pole dancers working out during the eclipse. And the best???they were from Silverton. LOL

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I sat and watched the traffic stream down 99 allllll day.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I sat and watched the traffic stream down 99 allllll day.
Personally I'm glad I'm not over on Hwy 26 or Hwy 97 trying to leave Madras right now. Heckfire, at this stage I'd be so frustrated, legally I wouldn't /shouldn't be allowed to drive. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503385982.796483.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Is anybody else getting really excited about it, besides me?
Jacqui,
Was it as good for you as it was for me? We had clear blue skies and when the totality happened there was a big cheer from the area.
Rochell, my honey didn't know what to expect. We sat together on the front porch and watched it from the start till the end. We kissed, and she thanked me for getting her up to see it. She works graveyard and had been sleeping for about 3 hours.
All of that babbled, how was your date yesterday? Were the two of you able to watch at all? Do tell all, inquiring minds want to know.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Jacqui,
Was it as good for you as it was for me? We had clear blue skies and when the totality happened there was a big cheer from the area.
Rochell, my honey didn't know what to expect. We sat together on the front porch and watched it from the start till the end. We kissed, and she thanked me for getting her up to see it. She works graveyard and had been sleeping for about 3 hours.
All of that babbled, how was your date yesterday? Were the two of you able to watch at all? Do tell all, inquiring minds want to know.

I need the crying emote. Clear skies until shortly at the start. Then rain moved in. Drove to a spot and got to enjoy the moon eating the sun to about 50%. Then a big thick storm cloud came in. Jeff thought he could find us a better view. *mumble mumble*. Could not see the full eclipse. Did get to see it with the sun starting to edge back out. I did not kill Jeff or even scream at him, but I was not a happy camper. Then again, this is how things normally go in my life. You would think I would learn to never get excited or hopes up.