Mold prevention!

Zxsong

Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena, CA.
I'm currently building a closed chamber type enclosure and I'm finally putting the finishing touches on it. I'd just like to find more opinions on how to prevent mold. I've searched all the Home Depots for non toxic deck sealant and it's non-existent over here! They don't ship online to CA either. Should I use another brand of deck sealant or a pond liner? If I use a pond liner how do it put it on? (Sorry I'm new to building things DIY style!) I'd love to hear opinions/feedback anything helps at this point. I'm just trying to move my little one ASAP into the right environment. Thanks :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Out door paint or marine paint should work fine. Any wood sealer, just let it cure properly and the smell dissipate, as for plastic liner, staple and glue is what I would do.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
There was a thread not too log ago that talked about mold prevention. AZtortmom posted a product that she has been using with success. Check this out. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-87218.html

There are a couple of products that look interesting for closed chambers. I have not tested any because my tortoise is past the closed chamber phase. The products use soy oil instead of petroleum oil to seal the wood and fight mold and fungi. Here is one such product: http://www.soyclean.biz/household_products/soyseal-wood-sealer-and-waterproofer.html

Another product that got my attention, and again I have not tried this myself, is Safecoat. Check this out: http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products.php?page=2

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
I just finished my closed chamber and Once it was built I used spray on Polyurethane to seal it. Now when the humidity is high you can see it just run off of the polyurethane instead of absorbing into the wood. Once it dries it's basically like plastic. It took about five days of sitting outside in dry weather (which is rare here in florida) with a lot of sunlight for it to cure and have the smell dissipate, but now it seems to be working great. There are also a lot of other people on here that are very experienced that say they have never used any type of sealant and never had a mold problem either. I just did mine to be safe instead of having to rebuild something. What kind of tortoise are you building for? Also what is the environment you're looking to create temperature and humidity wise?

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
Dizisdalife-
I have actually seen that thread already and the first link you've posted the sealant that she has used is actually not sold in CA. [PENSIVE FACE] I will keep an eye out for the other things you've posted!

I have a baby sulcata so I am trying to aim for a high humidity high temp.

Thank you all for quick replies! I want to never replace this wood :D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Zxsong said:
Dizisdalife-
I have actually seen that thread already and the first link you've posted the sealant that she has used is actually not sold in CA. [PENSIVE FACE] I will keep an eye out for the other things you've posted!

I have a baby sulcata so I am trying to aim for a high humidity high temp.

Thank you all for quick replies! I want to never replace this wood :D

Let us know what you finally decide to use and how well it works. I had a bit of a mold issue in my night box (my sulcata is 40 pounds and lives outside 24/7) when I first upped the humidity in there. It is made of plywood with no wood sealer at all. I cleaned up the mold with vinegar and sealed a few leaks and it's not been an issue since. At least not one where I have to replace wood. It stays at 82F and 75% RH in there. Of course there is no damp substrate directly on the wood.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I use plastic sheeting and thumb tack it to the inside of the table like wrapping a present. Cut it so that you have enough to go about an inch or two above your substrate. My biggest mistake on my first one was thinking I needed to double it up. I did not. The 6 gauge is more than thick enough.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Zxsong said:
Saleama-
You've never had a mold problem even on the parts that aren't covered?

No I have not. The crates I have have not been treated and do quite well. I have seen mold around food areas when feeding Mazuri but not elsewhere and only when I did not get all of it up when clearing away the dirty dishes.