Moisture Level in Coco Fiber

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, Washington
I have major woes when it comes to this topic. When the coco fiber is too dry, it's nice and easy for my Hermann's to burrow in and he loves it. But it's crazy dry. When the coco fiber is wet and at a sufficient moisture level, it sticks ALL OVER his entire body (legs, head, face, shell) and he hates it.

Anyone have any solutions? I've been keeping it completely dry because it literally sticks all over him and his food when it's wet, but I'm worried that the dryness is more detrimental than beneficial. Even though I give him 15 minute baths every other day, when I put him back in the cage after the bath the dry coco fiber sticks all over him still....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Switch to orchid bark. It works much better.

If you want to stay with the coco fiber you need to firmly hand pack it. I start with a 8-10 layer of fluff and pack it down to 2-3 inches.

This mess you describe is the main reason I don't use it for all species and sizes.

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
Switch to orchid bark. It works much better.

If you want to stay with the coco fiber you need to firmly hand pack it. I start with a 8-10 layer of fluff and pack it down to 2-3 inches.

This mess you describe is the main reason I don't use it for all species and sizes.

Can you link me to orchid bark? It seems like it wouldn't work too well. This is what I found from a quick google search

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you link me to orchid bark? It seems like it wouldn't work too well. This is what I found from a quick google search
The repti-bark is the one. Fine grade orchid bark. AKA: fir bark. It can be found cheaper in bulk at a local nursery.

After using it for decades with a multitude of reptiles, and starting hundreds of hatchling tortoises of several species on it, I can assure you: It works well. Very well.

stiglitz

5 Year Member
Seattle, Washington
The repti-bark is the one. Fine grade orchid bark. AKA: fir bark. It can be found cheaper in bulk at a local nursery.

After using it for decades with a multitude of reptiles, and starting hundreds of hatchling tortoises of several species on it, I can assure you: It works well. Very well.

I used it for a brief period of time in a corner of the cage and my impression was it probably wouldn’t hold moisture too well (but I never actually tried getting it wet). Interesting. Maybe I’ll give it another shot! It just seems like the chunks are too big to actually be comfortable for my little guy, haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used it for a brief period of time in a corner of the cage and my impression was it probably wouldn’t hold moisture too well (but I never actually tried getting it wet). Interesting. Maybe I’ll give it another shot! It just seems like the chunks are too big to actually be comfortable for my little guy, haha
It holds moisture like a sponge. Just as well as coco fiber.