Moisture in enclosure

M stanek

Location (City and/or State)
MINNESOTA
I’m reading a lot about keeping enclosures moist. How about do you go about doing that? A humidifier? A water bottle?

turtlebean

Connecticut
I think it really depends on how humid and moist you are trying to keep your enclosure and what kind of enclosure/ substrate you have.

I keep my enclosure humid by adding a couple gallons of warm water to my substrate probably once a week and mixing it all up until all the soil is nice and moist again. It seems like a lot of water to add but the coco and cyprus mix I have absorbs a lot of water and tends to dry out quick if I don’t add enough. That usually keeps my humidity levels about 45% on the side with the lamps and around 55-60% on the cool side.

If you have a closed top enclosure it’ll definitley stay a lot more humid than an enclosure with no top.

However if you have a baby or a species that requires a lot more humidity, they sell the reptile humidity spray pumps (not sure their real name lol so sorry). Hope that helps!

-Julia R

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m reading a lot about keeping enclosures moist. How about do you go about doing that? A humidifier? A water bottle?
You use the correct type of substrate, and you dump water into it periodically to keep the humidity and moisture where it needs to be for a given species.

We do this because even species that come from dry areas benefit from some moderate humidity, and our indoor enclosures tend to be much too dry.