Modifying Zoo med house

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I was hoping to actually have a finished picture to post but my first attempt at cutting glass didn't end well, so I have no doors >_<. I bought extra glass but there's no way I'm going to get it on my second try either so I'm just going to return it to Home Depot. Apparently they don't cut glass. Does anyone know if they cut plexiglass at least? Here is it for now.. Just need to secure the top track and put plexiglass in the front. Not for sure yet whether I want to put a hatchling in it or maybe a diff type of reptile. Well see. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368828059.187139.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368828072.861260.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368828090.187250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As far as I know, they do t cut plexi glass. However, it is t that hard to cut. Use a straight edge, clamps to hold the straight edge down tight and use a utility knife to keep scoring a line. When it the line is score a good depth, then you carefully snap the two pieces apart. The more you score the cut line, the easier you will be able to snap them apart.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Yeah, I was gunna get the plexiglass either way. Glass was just too fragile. Person at Home Depot made it seem easy and also gave me a glass cutter that wasn't for the proper glass thickness anyways.

Anyone have any ideas, of what could go in here if I don't go with another tortoise. I was maybe thinking a beardie but I don't like the height so probably not, at least it wouldn't work for long.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Home Depot does not cut plexi glass. Was just there this past weekend wanting some cut. They do however sell a tool that looks some what like a pizza cutter that cuts plexi. The tool was cheap, maybe $5. I didn't get it because I was scared I'd mess it up. Plexi is not cheap so I didn't want to take the chance.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
kjr153 said:
Home Depot does not cut plexi glass. Was just there this past weekend wanting some cut. They do however sell a tool that looks some what like a pizza cutter that cuts plexi. The tool was cheap, maybe $5. I didn't get it because I was scared I'd mess it up. Plexi is not cheap so I didn't want to take the chance.

I got that stupid little tool and don't see how they expect it to cut glass. I know its just suppose to score the glass and then u kind of crack the piece off, but that thing would barely cut the plastic packaging the glass had around it. I'm just going to buy some thin plexiglass and use a utility knife. I can't believe how expensive plexiglass is...everyone here has always said it was relatively cheap and that they cut it for you but my Home Depot charges $20 for barely 2 square feet and they don't cut. I don't think my HD will actually cut the plexi....they had no tables nearby to do it, just wood cutting stations.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I cut glass for my above tank topper and I just used the edger and yeah made my line snapped it and it worked great. Plexiglass I haven't worked with much. Let us know how it goes

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
Not sure if you have an Ace Hardware near you, but I know the one where I live cuts plexiglass for cheap. I can get a 1x2ft piece with holes cut in it for $7.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
There's actually one right by me I'll have to call them and find out. Thanks.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368932082.039307.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368932093.979628.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1368932105.736344.jpg

Got the doors installed. Got the glass cut at lowes. Def shopping there over Home Depot from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man ,that's nice.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The more I look around this forum the more I want a leopard tortoise. I think I may get a hatchling sometime soon. I have no idea haha

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Can you spell out the mods you have done?

I see the glass doors.
Is that tile on the inside walls?
Did you seal the wood?
Cover the top wire lid?
Remove the hide?

I just wanna know the details :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Can you spell out the mods you have done?

I see the glass doors.
Is that tile on the inside walls?
Did you seal the wood?
Cover the top wire lid?
Remove the hide?

I just wanna know the details :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

I never used the "hide" portion, it was just too big and wasted space. The divider for the hide was removed, and I removed the 'track' on each side that the removable hide wall slid into. Then, I cut out the front wall and sanded it smooth in between the front frame. I used faux stone linoleum tiles in between the walls frame on the 3 remaining sides. The whole enclosure was already completely sealed/waterproofed previous to adding these modifications. To waterproof the floor I use a simple black heavy duty trash bag cut to fit the bottom with an inch and a half lip around the border. I added tracking to the top and bottom of the cut out and had two glass doors cut at lowes. The wire lid still isn't completely finished. I am going to get some plexi with holes cut for the domes. I have used tin foil in the past to cover it and create a 'closed chamber' and it worked pretty well, but was unsightly. I still want to add legs so it is free standing. All of these modifications cost around $30. Glass, cut was $7. Tracking was 5$.linoleum $5. adhesive for track 5$. Sandpaper $4 and an additional 7$ for the piece of glass I broke attempting to cut the glass myself.

Jd3

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
kjr153 said:

I got that stupid little tool and don't see how they expect it to cut glass. I know its just suppose to score the glass and then u kind of crack the piece off, but that thing would barely cut the plastic packaging the glass had around it. I'm just going to buy some thin plexiglass and use a utility knife. I can't believe how expensive plexiglass is...everyone here has always said it was relatively cheap and that they cut it for you but my Home Depot charges $20 for barely 2 square feet and they don't cut. I don't think my HD will actually cut the plexi....they had no tables nearby to do it, just wood cutting stations.

You're supposed to remove the plastic sheeting when cutting glass.

Score on a flat surface, put a board under the line on "keep" side and tap the other. It is mindless and easy. YouTube has thousands of videos showing how.

Plus, glass won't scratch. Plexi will look terrible after an animal has scratched at it.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
theelectraco said:
kjr153 said:

You're supposed to remove the plastic sheeting when cutting glass.

Score on a flat surface, put a board under the line on "keep" side and tap the other. It is mindless and easy. YouTube has thousands of videos showing how.

Plus, glass won't scratch. Plexi will look terrible after an animal has scratched at it.

I'm not sure if you actually read what I wrote, because if you did you would realize what I said. There was no plastic sheet on the glass, I was talking about the plastic used for packaging. If it couldn't even cut that so I could remove it, then how do they expect it to score glass. Also, you would have noticed I already got glass so whether plexi would scratch is irrelevant.

Team Gomberg said:
keep showing updates! I'd like to see how it looks when it is all done :)

I wish I could remove the wire top, but its actually in between two sets of wood so I would need to rebuild that part which seems like too much work for me lol. I am thinking of removing the side panel used to add on another zoo med tortoise house and build an addition or a ramp to go down into my old enclosure and use it for my current tortoise. Well see. I'll keep everyone updated,

Status
Not open for further replies.