Modified Zoo Med Tortoise House build thread (Lots of pictures)

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn, VA
Trying out the "soak house" for the first time. I used the red night time heat lamp to give it a warm but mellow feel along with a Fluval 106 canister filter, an in-line UV sanitizer and an in-line heater that keeps the water at 96 degrees. He seems to like it.

I'll get some better shots tomorrow

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
all i can say is WOW! you have built one amazing tort house! i'm sure chewba and his keeper will be happy for years!

Sloane's Redfoots

5 Year Member
Sigh. First I was jealous over the enclosure. Then I was jealous over the tort. You're living the good life. If my hatchings see this (they also have a modified zoomed house) they will become torts of fury!!

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Sloane said:
Sigh. First I was jealous over the enclosure. Then I was jealous over the tort. You're living the good life. If my hatchings see this (they also have a modified zoomed house) they will become torts of fury!!

Sorry, not trying to make anyone feel bad, just share what i did and how. If it makes you feel any better the good life has plenty of not so good things we have to deal with and this is my outlet so to speak. Besides in a few years we can match Chewba's kung fu action grip against your torts of fury! We could do it now but the NCAA would revoke Chewba's amateur status if he left collegiate this young and I'd be stuck paying for his entire education if things didn't work out in the ring.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Great set up. How do you keep the condensation from forming on the glass?

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
JennBell0725 said:
Is there anyway you can link me to the grass seed you used?

Sure, just order bentgrass seed from amazon.com in whichever size you prefer, I use a small bag myself.

I also use clover crush in the enclosure. It is used to lure deer for hunters and grows really quick. I dont mix the seeds though as I like the grass to look like a lawn and keep the clover seperated.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What a pleasant treat to revisit this thread.

Any update on the Leopard? How is he growing? We'd all love to see more photos! ;)

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Team Gomberg said:
What a pleasant treat to revisit this thread.

Any update on the Leopard? How is he growing? We'd all love to see more photos! ;)

This thread jumped back because of this thread

We are working on enclosure 2.0 and 3.0 (explained in the link above) at 4 months 0 days he weighed in at 178 grams (just short of half a pound) and is very solid, energetic and healthy. Chuba Ghandi is adding right around 15 grams per week. More pictures are in the linked thread and a lot more are coming and we are even working on some video.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Very nice. That growth is fantastic. May I use his picture as an example when I share about raising leopards in humid environments?

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Team Gomberg said:
Very nice. That growth is fantastic. May I use his picture as an example when I share about raising leopards in humid environments?

I will pm you early next week if that is ok?

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Team Gomberg said:
I don't pm, but my email is open.

I can save the picture from here if it's ok with you.

Id prefer to send you nice print resolution pictures via digital or mail. We can take and develop them in our studio.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
WOWZA! :-0