Moaning sounds from my 50 year old Sulcata

sulcata4ever

We adopted a 50+ year old 100-pound Sulcata last year from a retired farmer and have been taking excellent care of him. We took him to the vet to get him checked out for any respiratory issues and overall health last year and she said he's in great health for his age and no problems! I've noticed lately that he likes to prop up one side of his body (right side) on the ledge of the patio and once in a while will stretch his front and back legs and let out a very unsettling moan. The only other time I've heard him moan is when he poops - he doesn't do that every time but when he does, it's pretty loud. I've asked the vet and she says it's possible he may have a bladder stone, but we would need to perform an x-ray and we haven't taken him in for that yet. It's really difficult to transport him places and it stresses him out unnecessarily. I'm wondering if he's just relaxing and moaning when he stretches or if there is another digestive or discomfort issue that I am unaware of? Has anyone else with an older Sulcata experienced this behavior too?
288dvs.jpg

9qefme.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I don't keep sulcatas, so I have no experience to help you.
But I just wanted to say he is a handsome beast indeed!!! :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My sulcatas occasionally make sounds like that. More "normal" digestive noises! However, if repeatedly and sounding like straining, especially with the hind legs raising him up off the ground, I would get X-rays. Watch to see if he is pooping or not. If no feces, take him in for sure.

By the way... How do you know the age? It is really a great looking Sulcata, but looks more like 20 years old to me?? Either way, very nice looking sulcata!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Markw84. If no poop get him to a vet. Do you notice if he is exposing himself when he does this moan? My leopards and I have seen videos of others too will moan when trying to breed. Some torts will try to breed objects too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We adopted a 50+ year old 100-pound Sulcata last year from a retired farmer and have been taking excellent care of him. We took him to the vet to get him checked out for any respiratory issues and overall health last year and she said he's in great health for his age and no problems! I've noticed lately that he likes to prop up one side of his body (right side) on the ledge of the patio and once in a while will stretch his front and back legs and let out a very unsettling moan. The only other time I've heard him moan is when he poops - he doesn't do that every time but when he does, it's pretty loud. I've asked the vet and she says it's possible he may have a bladder stone, but we would need to perform an x-ray and we haven't taken him in for that yet. It's really difficult to transport him places and it stresses him out unnecessarily. I'm wondering if he's just relaxing and moaning when he stretches or if there is another digestive or discomfort issue that I am unaware of? Has anyone else with an older Sulcata experienced this behavior too?

Hello and welcome.

The most likely causes of this issue are bladder stones, impaction or constipation. X-ray will confirm or deny.

How often do you soak him? How often do you see him drink? What do you normally feed him?

Sulcatas were not widely available in this country until the early 90s. It is very unlikely that your tortoise is more than 27 years old, but its always fun for us if someone has a confirmed exception to this generality. They were first bred in 1979 a the San Antonio Zoo, but none of those are in public hands, that I know of. I got into the pet industry in 1986 and was a "reptile" guy. I first saw sulcata babies for sale in 1991.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully pretty sulcata. Have you given any thought to the fact he might be "breeding" the cement? They moan when they breed.

I agree he's not 50+ years old. And at only 100lbs, he's got a bit more growing to do.