MN Chelonians Need Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I am asking if you all have any ideas for us Herp memebers here in MN.

We have had several months now of too many water turtles and even Sulcattas...
this month there is a baby alligator up for adoption as well.

The problem is:
every month there are a few snakes, geckos and lizards but increasingly there are multiple water turtles (including snappers) and tortoises.

There are only so many herp members to absorb all these 'discarded' turts/torts. The ability of people to convert their homes into "water turtle land"
is not realistic.

The Zoos are not able to open their doors to 'outside' animals.
We do not release the animals into the area (even native ones) as a way of 'dealing' with the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated...

I suggested opening the adoptions to the general public...
Thanks everyone:)

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Im in SE WI for two more two more weeks, I can take some tortoises if need be. Im moving back to Arkansas so a little better climate wise for Sulcatas and the like. I can also arrange for a rescuer in South Carolina that I know that specifically takes in and finds homes for Sulcatas to take any in that I cant take as well. Just let me know if there are any in need that I could meet part way and pick up.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Wow!
Thank you...you are right MN is not the easiest place to raise Sulcattas year round.

I will call the person/people in charge and check back in with you.Could you PM me your e-mail/contact information?

By the way...there is also a baby alligator in need of a home:)

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey Cam, I live down in south west Florida and can house a limited number of turtles and tortoises for you guys down here.(if need be) I have worked with rescues up north before. The turtle and tortoise rescue of long island has sent me some tortoises on several occasions including redfoots and sulcatas.

The state of florida restricts me from adopting red eared sliders and box turtles. If I can help just shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I truly appreciate youe reply.
I will talk to 'right people' and let you know.

I really appreciate this:)

Redfootedboxturtles said:
Hey Cam, I live down in south west Florida and can house a limited number of turtles and tortoises for you guys down here.(if need be) I have worked with rescues up north before. The turtle and tortoise rescue of long island has sent me some tortoises on several occasions including redfoots and sulcatas.

The state of florida restricts me from adopting red eared sliders and box turtles. If I can help just shoot me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.