Mixing breeds and keeping baby torts together

jess99

Hi there :)

Magnus has been with us for 5 months now and has settled in well - the entire family has fallen in love with him.

Which brings me to the two questions regarding to wanting to expand the family ;)
1. I often see people who keep hatchlings/young tortoises together - how is this? I thought that male/male combo wouldn't end well, and it's hard to determine the sex of a baby.

2. Just curious, can you keep different breeds of tortoises together (presuming they have the same diet).

Thankyou for your help - we're gradually learning about everything!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
No to mixing species.
Problems don't usually arise until puberty sets in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Juveniles of the same species can usually be housed in groups of three or more without any issues. Pairs do not usually work well. The male/female thing won't come into play until they are closer to maturity. At that point males of some species tend to get pretty combative. In this case you would need to be prepared to part with excess males, or house them all separately.
2. No. Species should never be mixed, both for behavioral reasons and disease potential reasons.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
When deciding to get more tortoises remember even if it is ok to have them together when small, they will get much bigger. Much much bigger depending on type, and they will likely have to be seperated later at some point.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its also worth noting that tortoises do not want or need companions. Other tortoises are seen as intruders or as threats. They are not social animals in the sense of dogs or horses. They are "happiest" all alone as the sole king or queen of the castle.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just give Magnus all the love and attention he deserves.
He's gorgeous.
Another tortoise is in no way going to make him happy.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Even tortoises that CAN get along will eventually be a pain!
I for one should have been happy with my one happy, healthy Redfoot male that wasn't a male.....

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I don't have issues housing different species of tortoises if they are from a similar geographic region. Mixing old world tortoises w/ other species is asking for trouble. For example, mixing a Russian Tortoise with a leopard tortoise would be a bad idea. Russian tortoises and hermann's tortoises are notorious for being carriers of bad diseases. Putting Redfoots and Yellow foots together would be ok. Sulcatas and Leopards would be ok until the size difference becomes an issue.