Mixed Succulent Tray from Lowe's

JulieS

Location (City and/or State)
South-Central KS
Okay, I went to buy some Aloe Vera and Hibiscus at Lowe's for some more variety in their diets (Sulcata and Leopard hatchlings), and they had these mixed succulent trays on sale for 50% off. So I grabbed one in case some of the species were tortoise-safe. Is there anything seen here that can be harvested for them?

And I saw on one tortoise food list that they could eat Portulaca; is that correct? We have that planted in the flowerbed below and to the left of this tray where they could graze in the "limestone corral" while my daughter weeds the bed if that's okay for them to eat.

Thanks!

Succulent Tray.jpg

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
The plants in the front look like varieties of sempervivum (hens and chicks), which is safe. The one in the back right corner looks like jade, which is also safe. The two taller ones I can't identify. Many people (including me) change out the dirt and give them time (6-12 months) before you start feeding them to let any pesticides grow out, but I know a few others don't.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You will hear about the systemic pesticides used that make all or most of these hardware store plants dangerous.
Before I learned of such things I regularly fed them to my animals.
My hibiscus are all several years old now and 20 times larger.
My purslane is over 4 years old and is now 7 big bushy plants.
Knowing what I know now I would suggest using these plants as food stock for the future.
Not for now.

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
My purslane is over 4 years old and is now 7 big bushy plants.

Oh, I thought purslane was an annual, this is great! I know humans can eat it, too, like in salads, but never tried them. Will have to find a spot in the yard for it where it won't get friend during the summer here, I have mine in a pot.