Mixed animal tortoise enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Curious. Does anyone keep their tortoises with other animals? I was thinking more along the lines of a rhino iguana myself. But any other unusual cage mates out there? I bet there are some goats and birds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not my cup of tea. I think it is risky both for behavior reasons and disease potential.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know of red foot keepers keeping hermit crabs together. I would not mix a iguana and tortoise though, sounds like a recipe for disaster, and the tortoise probably would not like a iguana as a cage mate. I stress this all the time, they do just fine by themselves.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I was always under the impression that every species has its own place. Sulcatas with Sulcata's, red foots with reds, some keep reds and yellows together. But in general, for health reasons; it's best not to mix and match. Now my Russian has met our new family members, but she has her own home/pen as well as the others. :) I hope this helps. Best of luck, and post pictures.... Tehe

Katherine

5 Year Member
I personally do not, nor would I advocate keeping mixed enclosures for various reasons including but not limited to the risks associated with disease, stress, food competition, fighting, and opportunistic bacteria.

HOWEVER I see many keepers do this and while some have animals that suffer as a result, some are smart about it and incredibly successful, one particular keeper comes to mind... Mother Earth : ) So I suppose like everything else in life, do your homework and develop your own informed opinion- this is hot debate topic in the reptile world so you are bound to get some strong opinions.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is often that there are several ways to accomplish an end. In this case, I do mix most of my animals in terms of contact. They suffer from no illnesses and, in fact, I often receive rescues from people who do not know what to do and either do not want to or cannot afford to provide vet care. These rescues are quarantined for an extended period and are rarely, if ever, allowed into the main group. I also allow interactions of other sorts. Hermits crabs, Geosarma crabs, some lizards, earthworms, mantises, and some others are intentional. My dogs patrol the yard, for instance. The bunnies, squirrels, birds, deer, and others that enter or come to border their living spaces are not present by design, but I have been given no reason to excessively worry.

I think critically about how a potential animal's behavior may allow or not allow it to mesh with the group such that there is no harassment. I observe if there is any outright aggression. I keep size and, when applicable, sex in mind. I do not put hatchlings with adults, but I will put an ahead-of-the-growth-curve yearling with a docile adult if there are no problems.

For me, individual differences are key. I have a little Gpp with very high tissue density that is not currently compatible with animals nearly five times her size due to "aggression" on her part. She will try to taste the forelimbs of any cagemates. She is too small to cause mechanical damage, but this can intimidate more timid individuals, which could prevent them from feeding well in her presence. She is also part of a Mazuri-only feeding plan just to see what happens. I also had one of my Aldabras on a Mazuri-only feeding plan, but I will soon start transitioning it to natural graze in gradual fashion.

I have even used another type of mixing to help rehab animals. For some animals who have not been eating for a long time, they may have impaired, reduced, or disrupted microflora. I have some animals that are especially strong feeders, as does any keeper. I will take the fecal material of a healthy heavy feeder and place that in the cage of some animals that come to me that are severely underweight and ill. I may also mix this into baby food and then do baby food soaks. I have rehabbed an on-death's-door Aldabra in this manner, improving its feed efficiency and rate of weight gain. Which animals were the donors? One Aldabra and one female sulcata. The animal has since been placed with my vet and is doing great. He also keeps his Aldabra with his female sucatas without ill effect.

My Gpp that is a sibling of the aforementioned Gpp is kept with other species. It is several times larger than its sibling, although its behavior is more timid.

It all depends upon how to you go about things and what is right for me may not be right for you. In like fashion, what is right for another may not be right for me. I do not promote mixing species. I do not promote not mixing species. I have no need or inclination to manufacture a cause to rally behind, as there are plenty of other matters I must attend to.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I understand not mixing species of tortoises due to the possibility that pathogens tolerated by one may not be tolerated by another. This is an easily controlled risk.

Playing devil's advocate now:

Joe lives out in a town garden and encounters assorted bird species, cats, hedgehogs, newts, frogs, ants, spiders, foxes, mice... Is that any different from keeping a formal mixed species enclosure?

There is less likelihood of pathogens carried by the animals being transferred to Joe due to species boundaries, but...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I keep Cyclura/Ctenosaura with Tortoises and they do just fine........Same thing with Greens.......I even have a group of Redfoots that stay in a walk in with a bunch of Veiled Chameleons, and still no issues.......

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
My opinion: Reptiles are not aquarium fish. It's not nearly as easy to mix and match and toss species together, as it is with fish. In fact, most reasonably knowledgable aquarists would agree that it is not so easy with fish either! But that's another topic...

Like most everyone else, I generally do not agree with the practice for reasons already stated: pathogen transmission, behavior differences, food competition, etc.

I have seen many instances where the conditions aren't "ideal," but the keeper insists that because of the mere fact that "no one has died yet" that everything they're doing is right and others can replicate what they do with equal success. It's quite risky in my opinion and I hate it when I encounter these situations. But regrettably, there's no arguing with these people.

I do believe that a mixed-species habitat is possible WHEN DONE CORRECTLY. The reality is very few keepers really take the time to research all the species involved. They just think X is a rainforest herbivore and Z is a rainforest herbivore; of course, they can go together! WRONG. So many other factors to consider. I mean, few people take the time to do the homework for a single species habitat, so it never ceases to amaze me when so many think they'll be so successfull mixing multiple species.

Assuming all animals have been vet-checked, quarantined, etc, and are healthy, things to consider are:
- habitat size
- territorality / aggression
- cage furnishings
- food competition
- cannibalism (happens more often than you think with species you wouldn't even suspect!)

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I wouldn't. Iguanas can get mean and territorial of their space. Especially during mating season.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
At the end of the day, the choice is yours to make. Everyone will give you their opinions on the matter but ultimately you have to figure out whats best for you and your situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I don't recommend it. I always worry about my torts in my greenhouse because their are other species in their. But naturally. Its hard keeping green tree frogs and of course I have hatched butterfly larvae in my greenhouse but seems I haven't had any problems in the past 8 years that I've had the greenhouse established. I always deworm and sanitize scrub my torts especially in the greenhouse once a month for preventative measures. But I would never intentional place a lizard or any other animal with my torts. Especially other species. I've heardany epidic outbreaks stories that ate very tragic.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
acrantophis said:
I bet there are some goats and birds.

Just a side note here, years ago (like 40 maybe now... dang I am getting old...) our local zoo moved out of one spot and into a new one. They in their "wisdom" decided to put the two old, large Galapagos tortoises into the children's petting area... with the goats. Long story short, they soon ( a year or three later) decided that all those kids (mainly the four legged ones) always climbing and standing on the tortoises was bad for them health wise (gee, who would have thought :rolleyes: ). So the tortoises were removed.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Wow! I was just taking a bit of a survey. I have often seen multi-species enclosures in zoos, particularly in europe. Perhaps it's a space issue. The zoo in Sao paolo brazil keeps radiated tortoises with caimen! That seemed a bit crazy! I have a group of western fence lizards who share my sulcata's outdoor enclosure. I obviously didn't put them there, but the heated den and the lack of predators is too hard to pass up I guess! The San Diego zoo keeps tortoises with smaller lizards in many of their enclosures. They keep cordylus with leopards in a beautiful enclosure. I doubt I will ever be putting another animal with my tortoise but I like to ponder...

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
acrantophis said:
I have a group of western fence lizards who share my sulcata's outdoor enclosure. I obviously didn't put them there, but the heated den and the lack of predators is too hard to pass up I guess!

Yeah, I got a similar situation here with the occasional eastern fence lizard basking in or around my outdoor pen. Obviously, there are things we cannot control, especially in an outdoor habitat...but in the same token, there's no sense in pushing the envelope, right?

Like you said, you didn't put the fence lizards there. But actually paying good money for a rhino iguana or another tortoise, etc. investing time, vet-checking, feeding, etc, and then mixing in the same habitat as your sulcata, is putting all that effort you've put into both animals into jeopardy...for what? Not enough space for 2 separate enclosures? You think the sulcata needs a "buddy?"

Acrantophis, know that I'm not addressing you personally persay. Just posing these questions rhetorically for any viewers of this thread. Those topics come up a lot. People think "Tank" or "Shelly" needs a friend and/or they just don't have money or space to set-up another cage, so they're basically looking for an excuse to put stuff together.

The San Diego zoo keeps tortoises with smaller lizards in many of their enclosures. They keep cordylus with leopards in a beautiful enclosure.

That doesn't seem too bad in my opinion. I've been told of the famous African lizard exhibit at that zoo. I've yet to see it myself, but I understand it is very large and well-furnished and can accommodate the multiple species kept in there. Also, most of the species exhibited I believe naturally occur in the same range (not that necessarily good criteria..after all, a green anole and a scarlet kingsnake come from the same area, but I wouldn't suggest keeping them together!). I doubt few private keepers have the space to replicate with the San Diego zoo has done there.

I doubt I will ever be putting another animal with my tortoise but I like to ponder...

Nothing wrong with that. Again, I have seen successful mixed habitats. The key is research, research, research. And you always have to ask yourself: what is the advantage to keeping ___ with ___?

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
I don't mix different animal species with my tortoises intentionally. However, when they are outdoors, I do get native Sharptail snakes that roam into the enclosures to eat slugs and insects off of the vegetation. So far this has not presented a problem.

I do know a couple locally that keeps giant day geckos with the redfoots that they are growing out in large aquariums. They claim to have never lost an animal or had any problems. Not something that I would personally do, but evidentally they have made it work.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
Wow! Sharp-tailed snakes. Really cool. I get San Diego alligator lizards, side blotch lizards and a large group of western fence lizards. It's really cool.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Interesting comments here...

I don't have much in the way of personal experience. I've always kept different tortoise species separate, and we don't have any other types of pets...at one point we had some dogs in with the tortoises, but that was out of necessity and if I had the ability they would have been separate. For me it's more of a concern of requirements of the animal. I like my enclosures to have more of a display quality...I don't know much about Iguanas, but I would assume they would require a lot of different elements for shade, exercise, etc then a tortoise would. I would totally prefer to have a separate enclosure for this purpose.

I've heard an equal amount of both sides of the argument over the years. There are those who have kept different animals together and have had issues, and those that have had done it successfully. There's a stronger opinion on this forum that the animals should be separated, so I would seek out those people who have done this successfully and try to get their thoughts on the matter so you have a good pool of opinions to pull from then make an educated decision.

Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Our zoo has animals from different continents sharing the same space...for example, emus in with the Galapagos tortoises. Since the tortoises eat the grass and the emus poop on the grass, in my opinion, this is a risky venture. (Australia/Galapagos islands)

Status
Not open for further replies.