Mites??

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
I noticed today that I think I have mites in the enclosure! Under the water bowl I seen a bunch of little white bugs!! Will these hurt my tortoises?? And how do I get rid of them? Is this normal?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Those are likely collembolans ("spring tails"), they are harmless and break down wastes. They probably came in the substrate, I don't worry about them but some people bake/freeze their substrate before using it to kill them. They shouldn't bother your torotise(s). You can also put pill bugs/rollie pollies/saw bugs in to consume them. I think they can be purchased at carolinapetsupply.com

Mites are generally black, but there are also dark colored collembolans.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are likely springtails...if this is the case they are creepy to use humans but are aok for the enclosure---they actually keep the soil healthy.....you can add some other bugs that eat the smaller bugs and this will create a balanced eco system within the enclosure and also adds a fun munchie for the tort to dig and search for.....if you add some pill bugs (rolly pollys) in they will help to offset the springtails..also if you add some nightcrawlers those also break down the waste and this is a fav treat for a tort to find....:D

LOL...well appears Redstrike has the same info to share...good stuff :p

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ascott said:
They are likely springtails...if this is the case they are creepy to use humans but are aok for the enclosure---they actually keep the soil healthy.....you can add some other bugs that eat the smaller bugs and this will create a balanced eco system within the enclosure and also adds a fun munchie for the tort to dig and search for.....if you add some pill bugs (rolly pollys) in they will help to offset the springtails..also if you add some nightcrawlers those also break down the waste and this is a fav treat for a tort to find....:D

LOL...well appears Redstrike has the same info to share...good stuff :p

Haha, we must have been typing at the same time, but I gotcha! :p

kellychipoos

5 Year Member
Okies thanks so much!!! Glad to hear they won't hurt my tortoises, lol freaked me out a bit. I fed the torts a couple superworms and they went crazy for them, surprising how fast a tortoise can move after a worm lol I'll look into the other worms :) thank you so very much for the info and easing my mind [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It is very amusing when the discover there are buggies/worms/grubs in their reach....I have one of the babies that will flip his water dish, flip his food dish and flip his planter hide all over the place during the day and there will be dig sites at that moist end ....and he is laying there sprawled out under the basking light with his head laid out and tired from his hunt....it is very funny...

collectorcowboy

Toronto
I have a similar concern at the moment, I've got little creepy crawlies that are actually chillin on my baby redfoot's shell. Anyone able to help me identify whether or not these also are "springtails"?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a similar concern at the moment, I've got little creepy crawlies that are actually chillin on my baby redfoot's shell. Anyone able to help me identify whether or not these also are "springtails"?
Can you zoom in and photograph some?
Maybe on a paper towel for a background

collectorcowboy

Toronto

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-130516.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-130516.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20200827-130510.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-130510.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 14