Misty is losing weight???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
Hey all,

When I got Misty we were feeding her a few times a day... different lettuces and tomatoes per the pet store. Anyway... she started gaining weight fast so I read up on a proper diet for her and we now feed her once a day for 20 minutes. We feed her a variety of weeds and plants including dandelions, garlic mustard, Turnip Greens, Kale, etc.

She is about 100mm in carapace length.

When we got her at the end of March she weighed 210g, Then when I weighed her a couple weeks later about 4/15 she was 230g. That is when we went on the 20 minutes Once a day feeding schedule. I then weighed her on 4/24 She was 220g.
Now when I weighed her this morning she is back to 210g.

I am not trying to have her loose weight. Do you think I should increase her feedings or how long the food is out? She doesn't always finish her food, but she always eats. Usually by the time 20 minutes is up she has walked away from her food and is basking or exploring, so Its not like I pick her food up while she is still eating.

Recently I did decrease her baths to 3 times a week because she has a spot on her shell that I am trying to give time to heal. I do have water in her enclosure for soaking/drinking if she wants though.

Anyone have any ideas. Am I doing something wrong? I don't want her to wither away. Any incite would be gretly appreciated.

Randee

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I always leave the food there until the next time I feed. I have the food tile placed away from the light. What they don't finish just sits there until the next day when I take out the tile and wash it. They go back to the feeding station all throughout the day nibbling. Even late in the day when the food is all dried up and crisp, they still go back and eat some of it.

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne! I will try this for awhile and see how that works out.

Randee

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I have never really agreed with the 20 minute, 10 minute, 15, whatever thing. It works for fish, so the water doesn't get nasty with uneaten food, but it is not a good formula for tortoises, IMHO.

When my tortoise are outside, the graze on and off all day. It is like people eating three meals a day... A couple hours after breakfast, you have lunch!!! One meal doesn't last you all day.

Leave the food there until it is gone, or until you shut the lights off at night.

It could be the initial weight gain that you saw was water weight, also. She may have initially been underweight. Who knows how she was really being cared for at the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.