Misters, foggers, and rain effects

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey all,

Dog gone it, too much written, too much to read...

I've been looking at Pro Mist and Mist king systems. Problem is the people I speak to are selling boxes with stuff inside and they don't seem to have the interest/ability to answer simple questions. I think they are simple questions as when you go to vendors that sell systems for cooling outdoor restaurant patio areas, produce at the grocery store etc, all the things I'm trying to find out are published on their internet pages.

Simple things like GPM per emitter or the cascade of pressure when more emitters are added? What is the droplet size? Even more simple, how long can I run 10 emitters to use ten gallons or some simple capability questions. What pressure does the system run at?

WHY - I want to include calcium carbonate in the water to simulate water dripping off of limestone rocks. I want to put a diversion valve on the outflow side of the pump back into the reservoir to stir the calcium up. I don't want a wafty mist, I want a light rain. I am more concerned with eliciting a drinking response than simply trying to increase humidity and the actual physical response to rain is the drink. But if you are a tortoise the rain has to be felt on your shell, Yeah??

I know that adding calcium carbonate is counter to using ultrapure water, but I am not worried about dart frogs or some such. I don't mind switching out emitters on a once in awhile basis to clear them in a mild acid solution (once in awhile is the key idea here.) So larger droplet size is needed and the two mentioned system are all about how fine the droplet size is, even thought the vendors don't seem to know what that droplet size is.

Any direction by you master enclosure builders will be appreciated by this novice.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
I believe droplet size for Mistking nozzles are 50 microns. I'm looking at picking up the Ultimate package for our Egyptian tortoise enclosure.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Looks like the Mistking system runs between 65-120 psi, depending on how many nozzles in the system and if the pump's bypass is engaged during misting. Thought I read somewhere about the Starter kit pump rated for 0.4 GPM.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think I have found a solution. Use the misters as they are intended and then have several strings dangling from the ceiling in the enclosure that will accumulate the mist and drip. I can load the string with a calcium carbonate meant for human consumption. Not the most ideal way to do it, but it should work.

@Longhorns1187 Egyptian love a morning fog. They get spunky with it. I use a spray bottle right now but the difference in muscle development from the spray bottle hand to my other hand has people talking. LOL.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I think I have found a solution. Use the misters as they are intended and then have several strings dangling from the ceiling in the enclosure that will accumulate the mist and drip. I can load the string with a calcium carbonate meant for human consumption. Not the most ideal way to do it, but it should work.

@Longhorns1187 Egyptian love a morning fog. They get spunky with it. I use a spray bottle right now but the difference in muscle development from the spray bottle hand to my other hand has people talking. LOL.
Like the solution. I was always bothered with the need for distilled water to prevent plugging of misters. Adding the calcium carbonate may indeed be a great solution.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Ya ever consider spraying ambidextriously?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I pulled the trigger, getting the Pro Mist system with spray nozzles that can be cleaned. I'll try adding calcium to the reservoir tank and see how that goes. If not I'll use the string idea. I will offer a crushingly (could be good or bad?) specific report on how it goes here and then link to 'reviews'.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE

Ha! That's hilarious. Nothing like getting a workout in, using a spray bottle. I've seen some videos of Egyptian tortoises scurrying around after getting misted with water. I'd like to make it a consistent thing, so the timer that comes with the Mistking systems looks like it will give me exactly what I'm shooting for.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
I pulled the trigger, getting the Pro Mist system with spray nozzles that can be cleaned. I'll try adding calcium to the reservoir tank and see how that goes. If not I'll use the string idea. I will offer a crushingly (could be good or bad?) specific report on how it goes here and then link to 'reviews'.

Nice. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Pro Mist system. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Mistking system yet, so it'll be great to see more reviews from other manufacturers.

Salspi

Chicago
Do you think a Mistking system is better than a fogger for an Egyptian tortoise habitat?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've tried different misting systems and they all seem to clog or spray unevenly or leak with a dribble after short periods of time. And this is with city water.
What I've settled on is PVC pipe fitted with T fittings and fine "sprinkler" fittings designed for shrubbery.
It still comes out in a mist. But there is more volume and they never seem to clog.
However, if it's for an indoors enclosure, you'd better have a good flood policy on your homeowner insurance

Attachments

• 20170518_170050.jpg
    20170518_170050.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46

Salspi

Chicago
The mist kings don’t dribble leak or spray unevenly. In fact it’s incredibly fine water droplets. But I’m wondering if the fogger system works better for Egyptians since that must be kept away from damp/wet conditions.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
The Pro Mist came yesterday, complete lack of instruction or diagram how to make whole the little bits of plastic that make up the misting heads. IKEA furniture is more intuitive and they include instructions. It's like they don't want you to know 'how to' so you burn through pieces by trial and error. Not even used it and it's already saying, BAD CHOICE.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
The Pro Mist came yesterday, complete lack of instruction or diagram how to make whole the little bits of plastic that make up the misting heads. IKEA furniture is more intuitive and they include instructions. It's like they don't want you to know 'how to' so you burn through pieces by trial and error. Not even used it and it's already saying, BAD CHOICE.
That sucks to hear. Hopefully there's some info online somewhere, so you can get your misting system operational.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

I found some instructions. It is duplicated in a way that looks like the copy machine needs new ink, no diagrams, and instructions that are not so great. I'll post an image of the instructions later so you can decide for yourself if I am being unfairly critical.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I found some instructions. It is duplicated in a way that looks like the copy machine needs new ink, no diagrams, and instructions that are not so great. I'll post an image of the instructions later so you can decide for yourself if I am being unfairly critical.
Geez.
Did you see if there's a video on Youtube?
I hate that.