Missouri Indoor plants marginated

McKell

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
What are some of the hardiest indoor plants that can survive on light from a window, in very variable weather conditions, that I can grow for my marginated tortoise?
I want to connect his current enclosure to another indoor one, an indoor tortoise garden of sorts so the plants will all need to be able to grow together in one space and stand up to trampling and eating by my tortoise as well. Pictures are of his current enclosure, I plan to connect to (he’s 5 months old rn) but I know he’ll soon need more space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hello, noticed you havnt gotten a response yet, you might want to post in enclosure questions as this section is for identifying plants, not necessarily for suggesting them ?

I've used spider plant, it needs very little light, is very hardy, and is edible to torts tho they dont seem to fancy it. I've also used sedge/carex grass, same story.

Others have suggested pothos, wandering jew, and a variety of succulents. There are lists on the forum that are more exhaustive, let me know if you have trouble finding the info.

Ive added other things to the enclosure like lipstick plant, air plant, and African violet, but your tort might want to eat these in entirety, and possible trample them to death. In my experience, my tort will never go around something when OVER it will do.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.... Pothos grow very quickly from cuttings. Or, you can purchase a nice large pothos and let it trail down into the enclosure.

ps - enclosure is pretty small & narrow. Substrate looks good. You might also want to get a much better temp gauge with a probe so you can better determine temps & humidity. The gauge you have are known to be very inaccurate & are not located where your tort lives (down on the substrate).

McKell

Missouri
Greetings.... Pothos grow very quickly from cuttings. Or, you can purchase a nice large pothos and let it trail down into the enclosure.

ps - enclosure is pretty small & narrow. Substrate looks good. You might also want to get a much better temp gauge with a probe so you can better determine temps & humidity. The gauge you have are known to be very inaccurate & are not located where your tort lives (down on the substrate).
Thank you I will try pothos. Are the probe thermometers more accurate? I have one that I use to check the temps and humidities at shell level occasionally to make sure they’re still correct it’s just not in the enclosure all the time.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you I will try pothos. Are the probe thermometers more accurate? I have one that I use to check the temps and humidities at shell level occasionally to make sure they’re still correct it’s just not in the enclosure all the time.

Yes, ones like AccuRite with a probe are pretty accurate & help in ensuring good prper temps for your tort.