1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Mississippi map turtle in outdoor pond?

Discussion in 'Water turtles' started by Subersibo, Nov 6, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Subersibo

Subersibo Active Member 5 Year Member

Currently I have 4 adult RES in my pond. I live in the Sacramento area and was wondering if Mississippi map turtles can be kept outdoors year round?
    Pond is 12x10’ and 4’ deep (about 3,000 gallons). Has plenty of filtration (botton drain, sieve, skimmer, sand and gravel filters). Also has air diffuser for additional aeration.
    Plenty of areas to go out of the water and bask and the whole yard is fenced in (mostly by a concrete wall) so my turtles get to roam wherever they want.
  2. enchilada

enchilada Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Newport Beach CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    All North American indigenous turtles can be kept outdoor year round in coastal CA
    Subersibo likes this.
  3. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    I keep 12 different species of N American turtles outdoors year round in my pond here in the Sacramento area. I have for over 30 years now with no problems at all. That includes several Mississippi, Sabine, and False maps.
    Subersibo likes this.
  4. GregsTurtleHaven

GregsTurtleHaven New Member

georgia
    I keep a female mississippi map and female false map in a 14x8' pond year round here in north Ga with no issues. They handle cold quite well, provided depth and some insulation from leaves and vegetation on the bottom