Mississippi map turtle help

Toothless

First off, I'm a new member. I have owned and housed turtles before, but it's been a few years. I have 2 leopard geckos and a crested gecko. The eastern painted turtle I saved 8 years ago as a hatchling went to live at a friends house that has a huge setup that was perfect as he got bigger. I have a family member which bought a map turtle 5 or so years ago. They did nothing to house this turtle correctly. They had it in a 20 gallon tank, no lights at all, and the dock they did have was constantly detached from the tank making it impossible for this poor turtle to get completely out of the water and dry off. After many comments and almost heated arguments about the care of the turtle, I asked if I could have the turtle as I made it clear the poor thing is not being taken care of. I finally got a yes out of them. Friday I picked up the turtle after setting up a 75gallon with a new filter, basking dock, and a 5.0 UVB along with a 75w basking heat bulb. Also got a submersible heater to keep water temps up in my basement. Now that the turtle has been basking, I am really starting to see the extent of the damage already done. I just want some help and guidance on what I should do for this poor turtles shell at this point. I cleaned it last night and tried to help remove peeling scoots (didn't pull or anything, just helped remove ones that were peeled up). What can I do to get this poor turtles shell back to good health. I know you can condition the shell, but was wondering if someone could give me pointers on how to go about it. Here are two pics. The first one of the new "quick" setup I have been able to get together and the second is the poor condition of this turtles shell. Let me know your guys thoughts and expertise as I am not as knowledgeable when it comes to turtles. Thanks in advance

ImageUploadedByTortForum1385932884.185522.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1385932864.467305.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1385932826.772391.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1385932826.772391.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 65
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1385932839.411090.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1385932839.411090.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not the water turtle expert here, but I'll offer you what I do know. More experienced members will answer as they come on the Forum.

Yes indeed, the turtle's shell is in pretty bad shape. I'm thinking that all he needs is good care and it will resolve itself. I love the nice, big dock you provided. And now that he can sit there under the UV light and completely dry off I'm sure it will help a lot.

Good food also helps. What is the turtle used to eating? A good quality turtle pellet along with fresh food should help him. My water turtles will eat cut up chicken, zucchini, romaine lettuce, trout chow and they really love water hyacinth.

It's nice to see someone take in a turtle and provide it with a better home than it had. Good luck and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Toothless

Thanks for the nice comments. At the moment I just have reptile sticks (wardley?) This is what the previous owner was feeding, however, I planned on going out for a few things and can get zoo med turtle pellets. What do you recommend? Do you think I can feed superworms? I had a colony for my geckos and was just wondering if I dusted them with calcium plus D3 if that would be something I could use as a live feeder?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, anything like that is fine. Night crawlers, grasshoppers, crickets, any live bait food is good. Just remember that what you dust him with will come off in the water.

Toothless

Well, I gut load well and most carrots, apples, and lettuce I put into my supers enclosures I dust lightly so they have some calcium+D3 in there systems 24hrs before feedings. Am I right In saying they need to eat in the water for digestion purposes? I really appreciate your time for responses. I have my husbandry down for all geckos but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right with this poor turtle. Also if there is any clear way to tell sex, let me know. I know males have longer nails, but I have nothing to gauge it from and I saw a slight dip on the underside in the center. Does that mean male? I have heard the groove is for getting the "groove" on lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
His shell should start looking better in the next few weeks. He was not able dry off so he was not able shed . You need to feed plant matter to him like fresh greens . I feed mazuri turtle food . You can get fish fillets from the store .

Toothless

Can I use feeder fish/Minos? Romain lettuce or just any lettuce. Trying to get an idea how I can get a varied diet together. You were saying fish fillet from store? Any particular types. I'm very new to this :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would attempt small dried shrimp to begin the feeding process. My map turtles were all fond of small dried shrimp or krill

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes you can get feeder fish from pet stores . I would stay way from gold fish and the little red one I forget there name. I use guppies. As far as store bout fish I like bass or cod there not as oily. But from the looks of your map he is older so more greens is best . Food pellets like zoomed mazuri are all good . Try adding mustard greens or water crest . They really are picky so you will have to keep trying the greens they will come around . They're like us they like junk food getting them to eat healthy takes time.

Toothless

Awesome, I really appreciate all the info. Feeling a bit better about this now. I'm going to really try hard to get him to eat more fresh greens, get some zoo med pellets, and feed him the occasional feeder fish, fish filet, or superworm. I'm going to attempt a light shell scrub with toothbrush tomorrow. Will shell conditioner help? I know it's a lot of questions, but I figure it's worth asking so I can do everything possible to get him back on track.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would let him bask . It will shed just fine . Don't put anything on it . It will hold the water in and may cause shell rot . It will shed don't try to pull it off it will come off in time . He will look good in about a month I promise. All it takes is letting him bask and get his uvb . You got a good set up just put the right foods in the enclosure like greens and water crest . I feed the other foods in a plastic shoe box so the water stays clean . You can buy water crest on line it will grow in your tank or try water grasses. He will start to feed on the green stuff by him self .

junozhou

1 keep the water condition
2 keep disinfection for the tank
3 you can put the turtle into the water that contains 25% of salt for 15-20 mins
4 everyday keep feeding vitamin E for the turtle for 10-15 days (about 60-90mg per 2LB)

Toothless

I like that idea. I need more plants anyway. I'm currently just using gravel and stone. In order to grow these plants, will I need to add different media? Really interested in the watercress as it looks like you can grow it hydroponically. Thanks for the help. Really glad I found this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, a water turtle has to be in the water in order to swallow his food.

The cloaca (vent) is away from the body, closer to the tip of the tail, in the male, and close to the body in the female. I don't think male water turtles develop a concave plastron.

Toothless

Alright, good to know. Will check vent tonight. He ate a large superworm last night and loved it. I'm going to hold off on giving more and start giving more greens instead. Also going to pick up some zoo med adult aquatic turtle pellets this week. My 5.0 UVB burnt out. I have a 2.0 I put in until I can get to the local pet supply store. Is it that bad for a day or two?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's fine. Water turtles get quite a bit of vitamin d3 from the food they eat, so using a regular incandescent bulb for heat for a while isn't going to harm the turtle.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ
USA with my water turtles I have found
that if I dip a small chunk of sammon
In the calsum because of the oil the
powder don't fall off in the water .
And if I feed greens first , second
Dry food , and third the insects . They
Learn fast if they don't eat the greens
Don't get the dry food or if they don't
Eat the dry they don't get the insects
Good luck with the map turtle :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Mississippi map turtle help

Toothless said:
Oh, and are chia plants ok? Do you think the turtle would eat them?

I have yet to see any of my turtles or tortoises eat chia . I have to hide it in my tortoises food to get them to eat it .