Missing North Central Florida (Suwannee County)

Stacy N-B

Location (City and/or State)
Mcalpin, Florida
Our Sulcata Tortoise was last seen 12.31.18 about 3 PM. He was noticed missing approximately 5 PM. Male about 1 ft 6 in wide between 20 - 30 lbs. The area that he would have exited into is flat and grassy. The surrounding area is heavily over grown, briers and vines (don't know that he would be able to make it very far into these areas). Open overgrown field areas leading to tree lines that are very shaded and don't allow for much sunlight. Tons of flower beds all over the side and front of the property. Many places for hiding. I have searched all of the obvious areas I know to. Much of the really thick brush was searched. Any advice on how to search for him would be helpful. We are at a loss.face shell.jpg face.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
So sorry to hear that your beautiful tortoise is missing. I lost mine for 12 days once. Look in the sunny places in the morning. That seems like the best time to spot them since they are generally basking in open spaces. I posted on Nextdoor and put flyers on my neighbors doorsteps. Nextdoor was the thing that helped me get mine back in the end. Another thing I did was to hire a woman who had a tracking dog. The dog was trained to sniff out small animals. She seemed hot on his trail but eventually lost it. But when he was finally found by a neighbor it was their dog that alerted them to his presence. Good luck!

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Post a reward ASAP. Neighborhood kids out of school on Christmas break can be a big help. Warm temps for the next few weeks should keep him actively moving. They usually don’t venture far. Look under bushes. Good luck.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Keep looking and follow above given advice! Good luck!