1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Missing North Central Florida (Suwannee County)

Discussion in 'Lost and Found' started by Stacy N-B, Jan 1, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Stacy N-B

Stacy N-B New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Mcalpin, Florida
    Our Sulcata Tortoise was last seen 12.31.18 about 3 PM. He was noticed missing approximately 5 PM. Male about 1 ft 6 in wide between 20 - 30 lbs. The area that he would have exited into is flat and grassy. The surrounding area is heavily over grown, briers and vines (don't know that he would be able to make it very far into these areas). Open overgrown field areas leading to tree lines that are very shaded and don't allow for much sunlight. Tons of flower beds all over the side and front of the property. Many places for hiding. I have searched all of the obvious areas I know to. Much of the really thick brush was searched. Any advice on how to search for him would be helpful. We are at a loss. face shell.jpg face.jpg
  2. LaLaP

LaLaP Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Portland, OR
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    So sorry to hear that your beautiful tortoise is missing. I lost mine for 12 days once. Look in the sunny places in the morning. That seems like the best time to spot them since they are generally basking in open spaces. I posted on Nextdoor and put flyers on my neighbors doorsteps. Nextdoor was the thing that helped me get mine back in the end. Another thing I did was to hire a woman who had a tracking dog. The dog was trained to sniff out small animals. She seemed hot on his trail but eventually lost it. But when he was finally found by a neighbor it was their dog that alerted them to his presence. Good luck!
    TammyJ and Cheryl Hills like this.
  3. Redfool

Redfool Well-Known Member

Central Florida
    Post a reward ASAP. Neighborhood kids out of school on Christmas break can be a big help. Warm temps for the next few weeks should keep him actively moving. They usually don’t venture far. Look under bushes. Good luck.
    TammyJ and jsheffield like this.
  4. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    Keep looking and follow above given advice! Good luck!
  5. Stacy N-B

Stacy N-B New Member

Mcalpin, Florida
    ***UPDATE*** PEEK-A-BOO has been found
  6. TortoiseRacket

TortoiseRacket Well-Known Member

New York
    Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!! I once lost mine for three while days. Found him right where he got out...
    Stacy N-B likes this.
  7. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    Great!

How far away was he recovered? Missing all this time? Since 1 January....wow. Congrats.
    Stacy N-B likes this.