Missing Male

Cynthia Whitehead

Location (City and/or State)
Powder Springs
My husband died and I was distraught and did not check the outside pen and one of my male Hermann's got out. I've looked everywhere. I was hoping to use some female scent to lure him back to the pen. Is there anywhere I can purchase female Hermann tortoise scent? This is the' last ditch effort to find my male. /

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry to hear about your bereavement it's understandable that your tort wasn't your priority so don't blame yourself.
Do you know how long he's been missing?
Maybe try leaving some strong smelling foods that torts love like cucumber or strawberries watermelon etc out around the garden - possibly under a colander or something similar so that it may lure the tort out but won't get eaten by birds etc.
Also let your neighbours know or put posters up to ask people to look out for him.
I hope you find him soon.....let us know.

Cynthia Whitehead

Powder Springs
So sorry to hear about your bereavement it's understandable that your tort wasn't your priority so don't blame yourself.
Do you know how long he's been missing?
Maybe try leaving some strong smelling foods that torts love like cucumber or strawberries watermelon etc out around the garden - possibly under a colander or something similar so that it may lure the tort out but won't get eaten by birds etc.
Also let your neighbours know or put posters up to ask people to look out for him.
I hope you find him soon.....let us know.
He's been missing a week now. I put out food. Put out a light hoping to entice him back to the pen. Also put up posters already. It's heartbreaking. We're in gor a coldfront.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It could be that he's started to hibernate if it's cold and possibly buried himself so it's worth checking any areas where the soil looks as if it's been disturbed under bushes etc. You've probably already done that but I don't know what else to suggest I'm sorry.
There have been stories where torts have disappeared for months and reappeared after hibernation so don't give up hope.

Cynthia Whitehead

Powder Springs
It could be that he's started to hibernate if it's cold and possibly buried himself so it's worth checking any areas where the soil looks as if it's been disturbed under bushes etc. You've probably already done that but I don't know what else to suggest I'm sorry.
There have been stories where torts have disappeared for months and reappeared after hibernation so don't give up hope.
Thank you. I won't give up. There are so many areas he can be. I just hope he survives.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Tortoises are intensely territorial. Most smaller species that go missing are found nearby. Especially a male with resident females.

But their shape and coloring help hide them from predatory eyes. Your best bet is to crawl the yard and neighboring properties (if given permission).

Kids are great at finding animals that our eyes miss -- recruit neighborhood kids to help get down and search tufts of grass, shrubbery, crevices.

I don't know where Powder Springs is, but even in warmer climates the instinct to find a burrow for the winter still applies -- but torts that are "slowing down" will seek out direct sunlight to warm up a bit and keep their metabolism active. Check all brightly sunny spots throughout the day for a basking lump.

Offer a cash reward. Call all police and animal control departments, and shelters near where you live to report him missing. Ask the local pet stores (and any other stores & libraries) if you can put up a poster.

Cynthia Whitehead

Powder Springs
Tortoises are intensely territorial. Most smaller species that go missing are found nearby. Especially a male with resident females.

But their shape and coloring help hide them from predatory eyes. Your best bet is to crawl the yard and neighboring properties (if given permission).

Kids are great at finding animals that our eyes miss -- recruit neighborhood kids to help get down and search tufts of grass, shrubbery, crevices.

I don't know where Powder Springs is, but even in warmer climates the instinct to find a burrow for the winter still applies -- but torts that are "slowing down" will seek out direct sunlight to warm up a bit and keep their metabolism active. Check all brightly sunny spots throughout the day for a basking lump.

Offer a cash reward. Call all police and animal control departments, and shelters near where you live to report him missing. Ask the local pet stores (and any other stores & libraries) if you can put up a poster.
Thank you for your advice. Very helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, Cynthia. . . I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband. I know what you're going through. I have absolutely no memory of 1983, the year my husband died. I just lived through it on automatic pilot.

One thing you can do is put up posters on the utility poles in your neighborhood. Be sure to make them big enough that people driving by can see them . Join your local "Nextdoor" online group and post about your lost tortoise there with a picture. https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/powderspringsga2--powder-springs--ga/

Cynthia Whitehead

Powder Springs
Aw, Cynthia. . . I'm so very sorry to hear about your husband. I know what you're going through. I have absolutely no memory of 1983, the year my husband died. I just lived through it on automatic pilot.

One thing you can do is put up posters on the utility poles in your neighborhood. Be sure to make them big enough that people driving by can see them . Join your local "Nextdoor" online group and post about your lost tortoise there with a picture. https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/powderspringsga2--powder-springs--ga/
I have put up posters. Put out special food. Searched everywhere. Hopefully he'll return one day

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
if you don't find him before winter , make sure you repeat what your doing in the spring .... i think a healthy hermans will have no problem with a georgia winter ......... check out tree and shrub roots ..... see doubled1996 pictures in their post "nestled" , that is a really common way to hibernate ......

Cynthia Whitehead

Powder Springs
if you don't find him before winter , make sure you repeat what your doing in the spring .... i think a healthy hermans will have no problem with a georgia winter ......... check out tree and shrub roots ..... see doubled1996 pictures in their post "nestled" , that is a really common way to hibernate ......
I will thank you