Missing layer of carapace

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi guys. In the list of things to check when getting a new tortoise, it says don't get one with any shell damage/injury.
Does this include old injuries or just recent ones? The reason I ask is I am going to get one more. Available options are 4 inches or 3 inches...the 3 inch would fit nicely in my leopard group since it is the same size, but there is only one in stock and it has a part of the outer keratin layer is missing. The missing part is around 6mm accross and paper thin, like it peeled off. It's looks healed, and as far as i can tell, the injury did not go all the way to the bone, just the outer most layer. Seller does not have an idea how it happened, he did not notice the injury until i pointed it out.

The tortoise in question looks healthy, is very active, has good appetite and is quite dense...my gut instinct tells me that i have better chance of success if i get this one rather than a bigger animal which would likely dominate the rest of the group. But first, i have to ask here just to be sure i am making the right choice.

Now some of you may be thinking, why don't I look elsewhere for a perfect specimen....The thing is, I do not have a lot of choices. We do not have locally bred leopard tortises here and imports come few and far between. Also, even if I do not think the missing part will grow back since new keratin layers are formed under, simple imperfections are not a big deal for me. I just want to confirm that this will not have any effect on actual health.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
If it is healed over and the tortoise is in perfect health then I'd go for it. I've had some "busted" torts in my days (still do haha) and they need love too;) Old injuries are nothing to worry about as long as the tortoise doesnt have any prolonged issues from it. I've had torts from forest fires, burned carapace from a heat lamp, nose taken off by a lawn mower, dog bites, one eyed ones, 3 legged ones lol.....Unfortunately our little shelled friends have it tough sometimes but they get through it!!!:)

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Thank you turtlelady! Your response has reassured me.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Ok. Now I understand the no local breeders part. Heck, right up the road from me is a gal with Leo babies but shipping overseas would likely be an issue. I was wanting to help you out. Sorry I can't.