Misinformation that needs to be countered:

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
I saw a post on FB about TFO not being the "gold standard" of tortoise care, I mentioned that in a previous post here. The other two good posts I saw on FB show why these people should not own tortoises. 1. Feed them the root of romaine lettuce, that is where all the nutrients are. 2. Tortoises donʻt have ears, thatʻs why they donʻt come when you call them. Yeah, I got kicked off another FB group.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I saw a post on FB about TFO not being the "gold standard" of tortoise care, I mentioned that in a previous post here. The other two good posts I saw on FB show why these people should not own tortoises. 1. Feed them the root of romaine lettuce, that is where all the nutrients are. 2. Tortoises donʻt have ears, thatʻs why they donʻt come when you call them. Yeah, I got kicked off another FB group.
Oh, Snoopy's Mom, Ur just a rabble rouser, you know... a muck raker! ?Keep up the good work...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Go girl!!!??? They don't come when you call cause they don't like you. You feed them romaine roots.?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
True they don't have ears, but more like drums. They pic up vibrations and lower vibrations better than high. But I have called Opo when he has been walking away from me. He turns around and comes because there is a good chance I have food. He also will do the same with Rose.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
My family gets upset because Nibbles will walk over when I call him, but doesn’t respond to them. I wonder if it’s because when he was “locked up” without proper food and housing, I came by several times a day to feed and talk to him, brought him home on the weekends to make sure he’s cared for. Now that I have him, I spend at least 1-2 hours a day walking, talking, feeding, scratching, and caring for him. So basically I’m a noisy, living food dispenser.

Like Cathie said, the other girls tort is ignoring her cause the tort thinks she’s dumb and a horrible cook.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
My family gets upset because Nibbles will walk over when I call him, but doesn’t respond to them. I wonder if it’s because when he was “locked up” without proper food and housing, I came by several times a day to feed and talk to him, brought him home on the weekends to make sure he’s cared for. Now that I have him, I spend at least 1-2 hours a day walking, talking, feeding, scratching, and caring for him. So basically I’m a noisy, living food dispenser.

Like Cathie said, the other girls tort is ignoring her cause the tort thinks she’s dumb and a horrible cook.
I'm sure Nibbles comes over to you for much more than food (though of course that helps) -he sees you as a very important part of his life - and knows that he is safe and comfortable with you always.Your company gives him pleasure in lots of ways, so of course he wants to be with you.
Angie

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
True they don't have ears, but more like drums. They pic up vibrations and lower vibrations better than high. But I have called Opo when he has been walking away from me. He turns around and comes because there is a good chance I have food. He also will do the same with Rose.
I read somewhere that elephants pick up vibrations through their feet, are tortoises able to pick up vibrations like that too?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

He knows you are the food goddess

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I read somewhere that elephants pick up vibrations through their feet, are tortoises able to pick up vibrations like that too?
I did a little research but came up with nothing. But I did come across a vet in London had a tortoise that was impacted. They taped a vibrator( yes that kind) a few times a day until the tort was cured.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
I did a little research but came up with nothing. But I did come across a vet in London had a tortoise that was impacted. They taped a vibrator( yes that kind) a few times a day until the tort was
Thank you for the titillating, trembling, pulsating information my friend. I have a new respect for vibrators???????

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I really think it can be more than food. Sapphire associates me with going outside to his enclosure more. He'll try to stand up as tall as he can at times when he sees me. I think it's about all of the care we give them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you for the titillating, trembling, pulsating information my friend. I have a new respect for vibrators???????
I was thinking along that line also but not necessarily vibrators. I'm wondering if soft toothbrushing the plastron coupled with a warm soak can accomplish that also. I may have seen it work when I first got Sapphire but I was using running water under the bathroom sink faucet and a toothbrush over several days. Of course he is a little fella being a Russian and all.?