minimum enclosure height for RT?

e79

5 Year Member
As this will be our first, I was planning to use a cement mixing tub while we go through the learning process before upgrading to something more permanent. The tub is 24" x 48" which, so far as I can tell, is an appropriate amount of room for a 4" tortoise (yes, bigger is always better, I know ;) ). But now some people have me concerned about the height - it's 8". I figured the plastic would be slippery enough that he won't be able to climb out even with the 3-4" of substrate - am I mistaken? I plan to put the hides and basking area away from the edges.

The next height up seems to be 12 or 18 inches which makes me worry about things getting too humid? And it also makes me wonder about how to properly light it? I bought one of those L-shaped stands by Zoo Med because I like the stability of the bottom part being under the enclosure itself.

So I guess my question is this - what's the minimum height requirement for an enclosure that you'd like to keep as an open top?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
12-18" will work fine. 8" is too low. An open topped enclosure with a heat lamp will never get too humid.

That is a very small enclosure for a tortoise of that size and species. I would build something bigger, and also have a large outdoor enclosure built for fair weather, depending upon where you are.

e79

5 Year Member
I'm in northern MN so there won't be any outdoor time until summer - we've already had snow on the ground for awhile ;)

Everything I've read says to do a minium 10x the length (in his case 40"), 5x the width (in his case 15ish") and 3x as high...I'm not sure how "tall" he is...and I wasn't sure if that accounted for substrate. So the 24x48 sounds to me like it's fine/significantly bigger than the recommended minimum...especially as a non-permanent setup, no?

But I guess I'll exchange it tomorrow for a tub/tray 12" high...not sure what that'll do to the rest of the dimensions but I hope it'll still fit in the area I was planning to set up...

And with something that tall/"enclosed" does the plastic not get too hot? Long term I'm thinking more along the lines of two zoo med tortoise houses together or a converted bookshelf...just looking to go "simple" for right now as we figure out what things work for him/us :)

Anyone else have thoughts for me?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When you do the "tall" measurement, that is still using the length of the tortoise. Anything you do use for your Russian, be aware that Russians are great climbers. So a lid, inward facing lips, or atleast caps on the corner are good to have.

Yes, plastics will melt. Just watch where you put your lights and heat source.

e79

5 Year Member
The height is 13.5" so we should be good for right now.

What do you mean by "caps on the corners?

I like the idea of inward facing lips...or one guy suggested putting a popsicle-stick style picket fence (like doll house stuff from Michael's) around the top edge of the enclosure?

justino4444

5 Year Member
That should be good for a RT. I made the mistake of using small sides when my RT was a baby so I had to replace the old sides with higher ones.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
By a cap, I mean if you do not want to do a lip all around, then atleast do it on the corners because that is where most climb out at.