Mini greenhouse as a closed chamber

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My plan is to use two 4' by 4' Palram Plant Inn greenhouses as my indoor closed chamber. I've assembled the first one. The greenhouses are $300 each on Amazon with free shipping.
image.jpg
There are four drain holes.
image.jpg
I'm covering the drain holes with plant fabric and sealing that with aluminum duct tape. I'm covering the metal interior sides with a solar heating pool cover and also sealing with the same tape. This is the heat and water resistant stuff used in plumbing and duct work. I've also attached a container of waterless hand soap (with a 3M Command strip) to the exterior wall. The walls are UV resistant polycarbonate.
image.jpg image.jpg
I will update with more pictures as I progress with substrate,plants,decor, lighting, etc.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
What a GREAT idea!!!
I hope I can do the same for my turtles. Which turtles do you want to keep in this greenhouse?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
this looks great but did it come with lights? or just the green house, for 300 im almost thinking i could replicate that with some pvc and plastic

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
This is going to be for cherryheads. It doesn't come with lighting as it's for growing plants outside.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Underneath I provided additional structure for the plant trays by placing plant stands under the drain holes. To bring the stands up to the level of the plant trays, I used small squares of plastic, foam, and leftover pool cover. I tried to take a picture, but it's pretty dark under there.

I got the lighting attached. I suspended my dome lights with the hanging plant things that came with the Plant Inn. I secured them with zip ties and more of the aluminum tape.
image.jpg image.jpg
With the hood light, I used industrial strength adhesive-backed Velcro. I threaded the zip ties between the two sides of the Velcro and slipped them through more of the plant hangers. I further secured the Velcro with more of the aluminum tape.
image.jpg
I have two hygrometer/thermometer combos. One is at either side of the greenhouse.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
The polycarbonate is pretty thin. You can cut it with some aviator snips or other heavy duty scissors.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I've put in all the plants and decorations I've bought except the little fairy garden fence I'm going to put across the outside of the front opening. It's so cool to watch my little misting system working.
image.jpg image.jpg

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Can you take pictures of it in it's entirety now that it's complete? I looked at this greenhouse on amazon. Seems interesting.

Elohi(Earth)

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
wow looks great are you keeping them separate? i ask because of the divider
The divider is just part of the greenhouse structure. I guess it would suffice to keep torts separate. I was hoping that the wee ones would be able to cross via the Mayan temple/turtle pier.

I've still got about a month before I get any little inhabitants. I hope to get the temperatures and humidity perfected by then.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Can you take pictures of it in it's entirety now that it's complete? I looked at this greenhouse on amazon. Seems interesting.

Elohi(Earth)
This is the view from the side. I can't get it from the front because my sewing machine area and the cat tree block me from going back far enough to get a full shot. Right now, it's just one of the greenhouse units. I will get a second unit once I'm able to relocate the bookshelves/printer stand/junk that's in its future spot now.
image.jpg

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
It looks very cool!!! You did some nice work there!!!

I really hope your cherries will not ravage everything , tortoises tend to... Redecorate....

Good luck with your project, it's really cool and keep us posted:)

Take care,

Joey

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I bought the live plants for the babes to eat. I hope they don't wreck any of the artificial stuff, but, given my luck with pets, I'll be replacing the decor soon enough.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Right now, I have humidity levels around 60% with a low temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit and a high temperature of 82. I have two more CHEs on order. I may not need both, and I'm increasing the amount of time my misting system runs. I'll see how that affects things. I have some more plants to put inside and have wheat grass seeds on order.

All that and I've added a "Beware of the Tortoise" sign.

Last edited: