Mineral or coconut oil applied to shells?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Anyone know if applying coconut oil or mineral oil could help prevent further pyramiding?

My leopard tortoise hatchling seems to have had pyramid when I first got it, but want to halt it. Worried it is increasing day by day!

Will put husbandry stuff in the post below. I know so much needs to be modified to further enhance anti-pyramiding measures.

Hoping to combine husbandry enhancements with mineral or coconut oil. Any thoughts on the oil?

Brit G

Texas
I do my best to keep humidity and heat up in the enclosure. Humidity is unknown (buying hygrometer Thursday, ie payday) but it takes a full day for the top layer of reptibark to dry out. I can see fogginess on the shower curtain top for a couple hours after wetting the enclosure. Bottom layer is unfertilized plain potting soil that I used as a filler to get the basking light a bit closer. It's a clamp light so wasn't very moveable. No UVB right now, but take both my hatchlings (a leopard and a sulcata hatchling housed in separate enclosures) outside for 20 minutes to an hour morning and night. Soak before and after outdoor encursions - 'outdoor' being a long pot with grass sprouts and/or exploration of my covered porch. Each tortoise kept separate. They both have their own designated pot of grass seedlings to nibble lol.

The enclosure of the leopard is a dark 45 gallon Rubbermaid tub.

The leopard tortoise enclosure has a clear shower curtain over its top, heat lamp within. It's just a clamp lamp with a household incandescent bulb. Heats to 95 under it. Cold side gets TOO cold, to 75, but ceramic base lamp with dimmer got stuck in shipping. Already have 100 W CHE. Need a thermostat, too. The light goes off at night and I feel so bad because temperatures dip to 73 before I turn it back on. The sulcata hatchling has both a basking incandescent light for day and CHE for night. So, at least he's set. I have an infrared heat gun that I use to watch the temperatures.

Even so, I see a bit of pyramiding on the leopard tortoise hatchling. I want to halt it. Again, I worry it is increasing day by day!

On Thursday, I'll splurge for another ceramic base lamp from Petsmart if it hadn't come in the mail. And, as mentioned, thermostat and hygrometer.

Any tips or things to add to my shopping list appreciated. Many things need to be tweaked.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Anyone know if applying coconut oil or mineral oil could help prevent further pyramiding?

My leopard tortoise hatchling seems to have had pyramid when I first got it, but want to halt it. Worried it is increasing day by day!

Will put husbandry stuff in the post below. I know so much needs to be modified to further enhance anti-pyramiding measures.

Hoping to combine husbandry enhancements with mineral or coconut oil. Any thoughts on the oil?

Sounds like you have a solid setup. As you might know, the key to prevent pyramiding is humidity. Your closed chamber will help for sure! Just keep monitoring the levels. Shoot for around 80%.

Last edited:

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
High humidity and the correct temps are what is needed. Keep soaking twice a day too. I’m concerned about your clamp style lamp. They are known to fail and fall into the enclosure causing a burn hazard.

Bambam1989

East Texas
High high humidity is the goal but if you wanna rub a little "extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil" on the shell every 2-4 weeks it won't do any harm. There are many that believe it helps with healthy shell growth.

Heather B

5 Year Member
Ohio
High high humidity is the goal but if you wanna rub a little "extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil" on the shell every 2-4 weeks it won't do any harm. There are many that believe it helps with healthy shell growth.
Thanks for this info! I have a difficult time keeping my guys humid, but I do my best watering them every day (shells and substrate). I have oiled them with cold pressed organic coconut oil before, but now will do it more often knowing it is safe.