Millipedes & Hingebacks

Yurtle

5 Year Member
From what I’ve read, millipedes seem to be a staple part of a wild hingeback tortoise’s diet. I’m considering adding them to a bioactive enclosure with my speke’s, however I’m worried about the millipedes poison. Does any one have any experience with this? I’d likely be using bumblebee or scarlet red millipedes.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio
First up, some species of Kinixys eat millepedes, but others the evidence is less clear. What species do you have? In general, I am extremely hesitant to feed non-African species of millipedes to my animals, and because it would take a ton of work to culture them to the point where they could provide a sustainable food source, I don't consider it a feasible option, so I'm not even tempted to try it.

JThompson

Kinixys certainly in South Africa readily feed on millipedes - I have seen it first hand in the field. I am sure wherever millipedes and Kinixys are present, Kinixys feed on them, regardless of species.

I am unsure how safe millipedes other than the African Giant Millipede are to feed to Kinixys, but I would think that captive born millipedes from other countries would be safe... I mean, we feed plenty of non-native plants, vegetables and animal protein sources as it is.

Let us know if you try it!