Mike's Feed Store, San Leandro, CA

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
This is a feed store that should stick to baby chicks and ducks - and, well FEED.

They have dog and cat accessories, some bowls and bird cages, and FEED.

Recently (maybe 3 years ago or a bit more) they added tropical fish in the back room, which is NOT temperature regulated, so in the winter the tropical tanks drop down below lowest threshold and lots of fish are lost. In the summer, the tank water can get above 104F so lots of fish die. They are buying in bulk and moving units, and throwing away the "scrap waste" is how one disgruntled employee put it.

About 3 years ago (maybe a bit longer) they started offering reptiles, including 3 baby red foots that we adopted. Each of the 3 were housed with either sully's or with 3-toed boxies, 4 to a 5-gallon tank, at 101F with sand substrate, no shade, and fed twice per week. These are red foot HATCHLINGS!!!

We adopted Gibby first, then Bump and Pumpkin one year after that, then I called Peta and provided horrific pictures of their reptiles housed 3-4 baby snakes to a beta fish jar in 100F temperatures with no air in the 5 gallon tanks that houses 20 beta fish jars full of dying baby snakes, the pictures of the deformed, sick tortoise babies, etc, etc.

The police and health department did a surprise inspection based upon the Peta NYC advocates urging, and they have a year left on their "probationary period" where the police (animal abuse unit) and the health department is supposed to do drop-ins periodically...

We are about $5,000 into the vet bills and just now got Pumpkin and Bump a bit more healthy- you can imagine why we call Bump "Bump"... My first wonderful, dear little Gibby just died at age 3, and the vets didn't know what to look for, but that is a different rant.

DO NOT EVER BUY REPTILES FROM MIKE'S FEED STORE IN SAN LEANDRO, CA in my humble opinion.

Thank you to all for reading this and spreading the word,
Karen