Might be Adopting my First Tortoise- Need Advice!!!

CTaylor7878

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to owning tortoises! I have never had one but I have wanted one for years, they are my favorite animals and from all of my research it seems like they would be a good pet for me.

The other day I was casually looking up tortoises for adoption (something I do far too often for someone who wasn't planning on getting one for another two years) and I absolutely fell in love with this one I found from Northwest Tortoise. I figured he had already been adopted but I was hooked so I sent in an application generally describing what I was looking for in a tort, not mentioning the one I saw. But then when the owner emailed me back she thought that me and that one would be a perfect match- it was fate!

He is listed as a male, yellow-head redfoot tortoise, and I have been trying to figure out if that is just a yellow foot? If so, I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me more about that specific type? I have wanted a cherryhead for a long time, but from the basic research I've done online it seems as if yellow foots are similar? Seriously, any information about yellow foot tortoises, their biggest challenges as a pet and their personalities, would be great!

I will say, my living situation isn't ideal right now. I am a college student who is studying abroad in the Fall for a semester. There is plenty of space for him at my parent's house and I'd make sure they know how to take good care of him, but even when I'm back in this country I need to go back to school 7 hours away. Pets are technically illegal and though I'm not opposed to keeping him illegally in my room (and my friend who lives off campus volunteered to take him if I got caught) I don't know if that would be the best life for a tortoise. Would it be selfish for me to adopt him?

Sorry for the long post! I would really appreciate any information/persuasions anyone could give me to adopt this tortoise one way or the other.

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I'd say you are not ready for a pet. Finish school first.

But...if your parents are interested in having a tortoise...might work out well for everyone. :)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It doesn't sound like now is the right time. Tortoises need a lot of space, and hidden in a dorm room will not do. Wait until you have the ability to house a tortoise properly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
there are yellow foots & red foots a good picture of the nasal scales will let us I.D. it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are quite a few RF tortoises with yellow heads...in fact, I have three of them myself.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

My opinion is the same as the members above. Wait until you are more settled before getting a tortoise. It's not fair to the animal just now.