Michigan Butterfly Garden: Before & After Photos

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I took lots of study breaks today. One was up to Lowe's so I purchased (why not?) and planted a new hollyhock (different flower color than the plant in the tort garden) and an orange coneflower. ;) They look nice for now; hopefully they still do tomorrow too!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Shovel's broken. Fiancé's gonna kill me... :eek:

View attachment 168121
Hubby was smart enough to put "world's best shovel" on the registry. This steel one seems fairly unbreakable, but we'll see!! XD Here's our front garden at the moment. I just watered. The hollyhock and orange coneflower are some of the newest additions.

front_garden.jpg

Here are the sunflowers. NO IDEA how these came up; I swear I only had two, maybe three, seeds! The tallest is probably around 7 feet (2.1 meters) tall. :eek:o_O

sunflowers.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I realized I didn't include the pretty flower photos! Here is the pretty pink and yellow hollyhock (Alcea spp.) from Lowe's:

hollyhock_2.jpg

Our orange coneflower, (Echinacea spp.), which likes more water than we've been receiving in rain; also from Lowe's:

orange_coneflower.jpg

Another photo of the lovely Zinna spp., on which I just missed a butterfly photo opportunity!!! The little swallowtail was too quick for me, but he was definitely checking out the zinnias. So despite them being annuals, I will definitely get more next year, especially because the butterflies clearly do like them, but also because they stay in bloom and are colorful for quite a while! :) (Our yard could really use the color!)

zinnias.jpg

Here is the "butterfly weed" milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), which has grown a bit. Some of it's still in bloom.

milkweed.jpg

Our swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) has grown a bit taller and is already seeding!! Crazy plant, this one is. XD

milkweed_seeds.jpg

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I realized I didn't include the pretty flower photos! Here is the pretty pink and yellow hollyhock (Alcea spp.) from Lowe's:

View attachment 183390

Our orange coneflower, (Echinacea spp.), which likes more water than we've been receiving in rain; also from Lowe's:

View attachment 183391

Another photo of the lovely Zinna spp., on which I just missed a butterfly photo opportunity!!! The little swallowtail was too quick for me, but he was definitely checking out the zinnias. So despite them being annuals, I will definitely get more next year, especially because the butterflies clearly do like them, but also because they stay in bloom and are colorful for quite a while! :) (Our yard could really use the color!)

View attachment 183392

Here is the "butterfly weed" milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa), which has grown a bit. Some of it's still in bloom.

View attachment 183393

Our swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata) has grown a bit taller and is already seeding!! Crazy plant, this one is. XD

View attachment 183394
Try growing zinnias from seed. They get huge!

Prairie Mom

Here are some more photos from the other day. I threw some zinnia seeds down and they really went to town!

View attachment 181975

We found some more milkweed when it bloomed too. We put down more milkweed seeds than anything else, so I'm not surprised. :D I didn't see any dill come up so that was a bit of a bummer, but I'll try again next year. Hubby tore out most of the grassy looking weeds in these photos and we actually found more baby milkweed plants. Yay! :)

View attachment 181976
So cool and SO IMPORTANT that you planted Milkweed. I'm so impressed:)

Prairie Mom

Hubby was smart enough to put "world's best shovel" on the registry. This steel one seems fairly unbreakable, but we'll see!! XD Here's our front garden at the moment. I just watered. The hollyhock and orange coneflower are some of the newest additions.

View attachment 183383

Here are the sunflowers. NO IDEA how these came up; I swear I only had two, maybe three, seeds! The tallest is probably around 7 feet (2.1 meters) tall. :eek:o_O

View attachment 183384
Looks really great! I also love that the tortoise statue is "drinking" from the rain spout:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
So cool and SO IMPORTANT that you planted Milkweed. I'm so impressed:)
Thanks, we love to support the butterflies! :)
Looks really great! I also love that the tortoise statue is "drinking" from the rain spout:)
He keeps the wind from blowing our downspout away. ;) He has a very important job.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The garden is really starting to improve and turn into a native garden! We've removed more of the Windsor blocks along the edges of the garden and weeded as often as we can. We're still pulling out lava rocks, slowly making our way around the house. :p We may have a trailer over this weekend to fill it up with more rocks, yay! But most important, we recently visited a native nursery and picked up some fun plants: prairie smoke (Geum triflorum); nodding onion (Allium cernuum); hairy bush clover (Lespedeza hirta); purple prairie clover (Dalea purpurea); wild bergamot (Monarda fistulosa); and two Michigan lilies (Lilium michiganense). We fenced off the lilies to help them get established. They seem to be quite difficult to grow. I've lost my other one so I imagine either the rabbits ate it or it just died because it wasn't happy. I'll have to get more photos as new flowers grow, but here are a couple photos from Labor Day weekend that I never got a chance to post.

front-yard.jpg front-yard2.jpg

Even now the zinnias are still in bloom!! :eek: I'm so getting more next year!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We finally got married! Huzzah! :) I wanted to decorate the tables at the reception with gourds, and the extras ended up on our front porch. :rolleyes:

gourds1.jpg gourds2.jpg

Coincidentally, I used the zinnas in the photo for my bouquet. ;)

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I told Steph that when we get married I want to have the sulcata march the ring out to us. She didn't think it was a good idea, so I told her I can't marry her if she doesn't see the awesomeness of that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I told Steph that when we get married I want to have the sulcata march the ring out to us. She didn't think it was a good idea, so I told her I can't marry her if she doesn't see the awesomeness of that.

Well, it IS awesome, however, you'd probably lose the ring (and the tortoise) before it made it down the aisle.