Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Very cool, thanks!

All across the Caribbean, they are an invasive species breeding out of control. Puerto Rican farmers are losing tons of crops to the iguana. I believe there is shoot on site open season on them in Florida. Kind of crazy that they are endangered in mexico?

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Very cool, thanks!

All across the Caribbean, they are an invasive species breeding out of control. Puerto Rican farmers are losing tons of crops to the iguana. I believe there is shoot on site open season on them in Florida. Kind of crazy that they are endangered in mexico?
I didn't realize they were that much of a problem. That would explain why they are so freaking cheap.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Yeah, I believe they became such a problem due to the pet trade, and irresponsible owners letting them go. They can lay 30 eggs or so at a time, and if you have a group that continually breeds, it is easy to see how it gets out of control.

@ZEROPILOT had a thread on here about some big iguanas by his work. I think he has much more knowledge on their invasion!

We were visiting family in Puerto Rico 2 Christmases ago, and they warn you about big iguanas on the golf course. They can be awfully territorial and mean. and 6 feet long! haha