Metabolic Bone Disease

Maltesiors

I have had my tortoise called Tilly for nearly two years now. When I first bought her from the pet shop, she was infested with worms. She also had shell rot. Sadly, I was given the wrong advice and was told to feed her fruit and vegetables? I fed her vegetables and fruit for a good six months before changing her diet to weeds and flowers after following a bit of guidance and research. She has been treated for shell rot and is now worm-free!

However, since then she has developed an unusual growth as shown in the pictures and I am pretty sure she has metabolic bone disease? I was wondering if her shell with ever become smooth again providing I continue to give her vitamins, calcium and weeds? I know this growth will stay with her for the rest of her life...

IMG_7015.JPG IMG_7016.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If she is getting a good diet now and seeing regular sunshine, MBD is not likely here.

Looks more like a growth anomaly due to incorrect diet to me. Since the problem is already solved, there is nothing to do but enjoy your tortoise now. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's not metabolic bone disease. I don't know why that new growth area is sunken in like that, though. Just be sure she's getting plenty of sunshine and calcium and it will be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is another thought: Where are you and how is this tortoise housed?

Sometimes growth anomalies like that can be caused by low humidity under hot light bulbs in a dry indoor enclosure. How often do you soak this tortoise? Does it have a suitable drinking dish? Does it use its water dish?

Maltesiors

Thank goodness it is unlikely to be metabolic bone disease! I have no idea why she is like that either. I have another tortoise, bought at the same time, had worms and shell rot but has not grown like this... I soak her twice a week, she has access to a water dish all the time. She is also out near enough every day with the others...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank goodness it is unlikely to be metabolic bone disease! I have no idea why she is like that either. I have another tortoise, bought at the same time, had worms and shell rot but has not grown like this... I soak her twice a week, she has access to a water dish all the time. She is also out near enough every day with the others...

I don't see anything to worry about.

Good job on learning and improving their care!

Maltesiors

This is my other tortoise that I bought at the same time and she hasn't developed that way. That's why I am rather confused... :/

Attachments

• IMG_6743.JPG
    IMG_6743.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 34

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have seen this with some of the Greek tortoises in captivity here.
As they are usually kept very dry here and fed on all sorts of rubbish, it may be humidity or dietary, but i'm only guessing.
Now that everything's set up right, it should be fine.

Clunk

I wash mine once or twice a week, depending on how dry it is here, even though he hates it. I have a large, shallow wading dish that I wash and replace with fresh water daily. I have observed that he only enters it accidentally, walking over it and walking right out, and occasionally soiling it requiring an immediate washing of his dish. I have never observed him wading/enjoying it or for that matter drinking from it. Could he be getting all his water from the weeds and flowers I feed him?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, they can get most of their necessary water from their diet, especially if it contains items high in water or wet in water when you feed them to him.
However, continue to soak him, whether he likes it or not, by placing him in an escape proof container that he can't see out of and making him suffer it for 15 to 20 minutes whether he likes it or not. He'll get used to it eventually.
or not.

Clunk

Well this morning Clunk made a liar out of me. Around 5:30am I peeked in his room and he had his head in his dish gulping water. By the time I grabbed my camera he had gone back under his heat lamp. I wanted to capture this moment because only once in the 5 years I've had him have I ever seen him drink. I was beginning to think he was afraid of water because the only other thing I've seen him use his water dish for is a toilet (grrrr!). At least I know he does drink from it, even if only occasionally so I definitely need to make sure to clean it and add fresh water daily.

15 to 20 minutes? He freaks out after 5! He starts frantically clambering in his tub despite the fact that the water is barely ankle deep for him! I soak him for 8, that seem traumatic enough for him but I do it because I know it's necessary. He's not going to get used to it, I've been doing this every week and he always reacts the same way.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Try soaking your tort first thing in the morning before he warms up properly in a high sided bowl that he can't see out of. If he hasn't warmed up, he can't see other places, and the water is warm he is more likely to relax.