Messy eaters

Dennis S

Location (City and/or State)
Reno
Ok so my Russian has turned out to be a very messy eaters, I took out the food dish because he pulls out the food and sits on the dish to eat.

Has anyone else experience this

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_114401000.jpg
    IMG_20200525_114401000.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22

turtlebean

Connecticut
My russian does the SAME thing! I put all his food in a neat pile on his slate and the first thing he does is stomp on it and lay on top of it. Then he accidentally spreads it around the slate and and enclosure. He’ll start eating what and then his claws poke through the weeds he steps on, so he drags them around the whole enclosure for the rest of the day lol! I always find weeds in weird places in my enclosure.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
When mine are indoors I will feed them on a slate that is in the corner, and put the food in the corner. It mostly stays on the slate tile. My opinion is that your enclosure is too small, and if it were bigger he would be able to be active away from the food area, and go over to eat when hes hungry. Then he wouldn't track food everywhere.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
When mine are indoors I will feed them on a slate that is in the corner, and put the food in the corner. It mostly stays on the slate tile. My opinion is that your enclosure is too small, and if it were bigger he would be able to be active away from the food area, and go over to eat when hes hungry. Then he wouldn't track food everywhere.
Your opinion is incorrect... Many people including me don’t keep out tortoises is small enclosures. It still happens. There’s many reasons why. But that’s not one of them.

Dennis S

Reno
Yes the enclosure is to small at the moment, sadly I live in a one room unit so we got some room constraints, I'm moving some things to storage so I can build him a three foot by three foot by one foot enclosure

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Yes the enclosure is to small at the moment, sadly I live in a one room unit so we got some room constraints, I'm moving some things to storage so I can build him a three foot by three foot by one foot enclosure
Don't feel bad. The tortoise will be fine in the meantime. Building new enclosures is fun!

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Your opinion is incorrect... Many people including me don’t keep out tortoises is small enclosures. It still happens. There’s many reasons why. But that’s not one of them.
I may be wrong, but a larger enclosure would be a good idea for many reasons.