Mervin and Mabel's Official Growth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey TFO, how's everyone and their tortoises doing? Especially all you Sulcata owners out there! :D

Yesterday August 29, 2013, I was finally able to weigh in and take pictures of Mervin and Mabel, for future comparisons. For those who haven't already met the two, I received Mervin and Mabel, back in December 4, 2012 and have had them for almost 10 months. Since then I've only weighed them twice and I'm picking up from when I last weighed them in, I plan to update this thread and keep track of their growth. I purchased them both from Lancecham, whom is also a fellow member here on TFO, who a matter of fact has hatchlings for sale at the moment. He's a great and friendly guy, who cares to see how his babies are doing.

Mervin and Mabel, were both raised in an attempted "closed chamber" for 3 months before I moved in February and since then I decided to raise them outdoors (explanation further down this thread). For those of you who don't know what a closed chamber is, it's the absolute best way to raise/house your hatchlings and many members will agree. For more information, check out Tom's threads http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-18448.html and make sure to read all of it word for word. ;)

Upon moving, I kept them outdoors in an area bordered around a tree, until I had finally settled in. This was probably the worst decision I've ever made for them. The "enclosure" just wasn't ideal and a place I wanted to keep them, it was temporary. I could tell they were unhappy, almost to the point where they had no appetite. Since then, I was finally able to renovated and build them an outdoor enclosed, 7'x4'x12" secured pen. I made sure I put the necessities needed for the two. The enclosure sits on all natural organic topsoil and cypress mulch, kept wet at all times. I a planted Spineless Opuntia Cactus and a seed mix I purchased from Tortoise Supply. The enclosure has a sprinkler system that turns on in the morning and at night, I also water their enclosure when I start to notice the cypress mulch drying out. They have a large humid hide with a flat rock on top to absorb and retain the suns heat, I did this to help keep the hide warm when the temperature starts to drop. Inside the humid hide the two have dug a trench they spend most of the day in, until they feel the temperature is cool enough for them explore and graze. There's plenty of shade available to escape the heat and a large water filled terracotta saucer for hydration. They get morning soaks under direct sunlight for 30 minutes to an hour daily.

wmz5.jpg

naor.jpg

erxw.jpg

I chose to raise Mervin and Mabel, outdoors for a few reasons. I've never raised a hatchling outdoors and wanted to see, experience the differences it makes when raising one in a "closed chamber" versus an outdoor, open top enclosure. I thought though, if I'm able to make a super sized humid hide, they'd probably spend most of their time in there avoiding the suns heat. Allowing them to get the humidity they need to grow smooth. I had also planned and wanted to build an outdoor enclosure for future growth, just in case they outgrew their closed chamber, but instead I ended up deciding to raise them in there now. One major difference that I've noticed since being kept outdoors, is their growth. Although they are growing and it's obvious, they are growing much slower than what I'm used to seeing. Surprisingly they're currently having growth spurts. I know and understand most people may disapprove of this, but the only difference is the enclosure, not the love and care they're being given.

(pictures are in chronological order)
Mervin and Mabel's arrival (December 4, 2012) The last time I weighed them was on (December 18, 2012) Mervin weighed 51g and Mabel weighed 52g.

a0er.jpg

9tzv.jpg

lt0w.jpg

80io.jpg

MERVIN has one speck on his back scute.
(August 29, 2013) weighing in at 88g.

5i1q.jpg

i58r.jpg

tn1s.jpg

sul9.jpg

MABEL
(August 29, 2013) weighing in at 112g.

5g2p.jpg

kyw7.jpg

c2dn.jpg

rkor.jpg

Well there you have it! If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Most of the information I found to be very helpful can be located stickied on the top of the Sulcata Tortoises page. If you want to meet my Leopard Tortoises, Mio the Babcocki and Mickey the Pardalis and see updates on their growth follow this link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-78294.html Stay tuned and thanks for looking! :D

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looks good!!!! I like your little outdoor enclosure. :) They will probably outgrow it SOON at the rate they are growing!!!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks! :D At this rate, I don't doubt it, but before I wouldn't be to sure. Just in appearance they've noticeably grown in this past summer. Before winter I'll move them into a closed chamber and hopefully by then, they'll still be growing!
Lilyloveslettuse said:
Looks good!!!! I like your little outdoor enclosure. :) They will probably outgrow it SOON at the rate they are growing!!!

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
September 14, 2013

It has been 14 days since Mervin and Mabel's last weigh in. Here are there current weights and some growth pictures.

MERVIN

(August 29, 2013) - 88g
(September 14, 2013) - 102g

vs5d.jpg

11lb.jpg

ys4e.jpg

9p6z.jpg

6ok2.jpg

MABEL

(August 29, 2013) - 112g
(September 14, 2013) - 119g

56bs.jpg