Mercury Vaport bulb or tube type florescent bulb??

Nicole210

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello. I have a baby Cherry head tortoise. After reading on this very helpful site I have found that the UVB coil bulb I have is a big NO NO and I am looking to replace it ASAP. I do live in S Florida and have been taking s/he outside for at least an hour a day until recently we have had some cold weather. I have heard so many different opinions about the lighting and just trying to decide between a MVP or tube type florescent bulb. The enlcosure is made of wood and is 40L * 18.5W * 12H. Also for the night time I have been using a blue warming bulb. Would it be better to get a CHE heating bulb??
TIA!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
In my opinion a CHE is better. Some disagree. MVB or tube depends on your setup and needs. The tube produces very little heat and must be close. 12 inches or a little less to the tortoise. An MVB produces a lot of heat, but can be raised further away. In a closed chamber they are often too hot. Be mindful of your humidity. I don't have cherries, but pretty sure they need high humidity and not too hot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think they both have places they should be used. I found that the tube type fluorescent bulb with a chrome reflector behind it was too bright for some of my species, so I only use those for leopards and baby deserts. For the rest of my crew I use the mercury vapor bulbs with lots of plants for diffusion.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do NOT have any RF housed inside my home right now. They are all living outdoors. But, when I had some indoors I provided UV with a striplight tube only because I was able to keep the temperatures over 80 naturally. (I'm also in Florida)

Nicole210

Florida
In my opinion a CHE is better. Some disagree. MVB or tube depends on your setup and needs. The tube produces very little heat and must be close. 12 inches or a little less to the tortoise. An MVB produces a lot of heat, but can be raised further away. In a closed chamber they are often too hot. Be mindful of your humidity. I don't have cherries, but pretty sure they need high humidity and not too hot.
Do you know can the CHE be used in the Zoo med dome lamp fixtures??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You need to make sure that the wattage is compatable. The fixture should be ceramic, not plastic based and should show, for example 100 watts for a less than 100 watt CHE

Nicole210

Florida
I do NOT have any RF housed inside my home right now. They are all living outdoors. But, when I had some indoors I provided UV with a striplight tube only because I was able to keep the temperatures over 80 naturally. (I'm also in Florida)
Thanks. Once this little guy get's bigger we plan to build an outdoor enclosure also. Usually I have not had a problem keeping the temps over 80 but with this front we have had our whole house is a lot cooler (70s) and the enclosure top level (it has two levels) is in between 70/80. I know they say with babies always keep above 80 even at night? What size tube light and strength did you have?

Nicole210

Florida
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452186902.828923.jpg is it true you can buy a holder like this from Walmart to use the Reptisun bulbs in? Or do I also need to purchase the Reptisun light fixture?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Some of the sizes are hard to find housing for. I have never bought pet labeled housing for any of my fixtures. They charge twice as much. You have to make sure they are compatable though.

Nicole210

Florida
Some of the sizes are hard to find housing for. I have never bought pet labeled housing for any of my fixtures. They charge twice as much. You have to make sure they are compatable though.
Oh ok, thanks! So much to learn! What do you purchase Jodie?

Nicole210

Florida
Also as he hides most of the time but I heard babies do hide a lot? Or maybe it's that darn coil bulb I need to replace. He only basks for about an hour or two.

Nicole210

Florida
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452188211.316340.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452188223.655007.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452188235.110551.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452188244.581615.jpg
Some pics of enclosure. I've been trying to figure out a new cover for the whole top. Someone mentioned thick plastic cover like the ones they sell at Home Depot or even a shower curtain.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Also as he hides most of the time but I heard babies do hide a lot? Or maybe it's that darn coil bulb I need to replace. He only basks for about an hour or two.

How high is you bulb?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
For your CHE you can use the metal reflector holders at home depot for about $10. They have ceramic bases and are a little more open which is better with the heat generated. Same with fluorescent fixtures - lowes or home depot. Just pay attention to if its a t-5 or t-8 fixture as you need to be sure to get the same type tube. Either one works.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
sorry about that, usually T8 or T12. The difference is the diameter of the tube - so the tube has to match the size of the fixture.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
sorry about that, usually T8 or T12. The difference is the diameter of the tube - so the tube has to match the size of the fixture.

You had it right the first time. :) T-12 is basically obsolete now. You probably won't find fixtures for them. So it's T5 or T8.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
About 17-18 inches

Then it's unlikely that the CFL is causing problems. With bulbs in general (all UVB bulbs), the time to watch for problems is when you change something. New bulbs, lowering the bulbs, etc. It's unlikely that a bulb will start causing problems all of a sudden.

If he's eating, and everything else is normal, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Nicole210

Florida
Then it's unlikely that the CFL is causing problems. With bulbs in general (all UVB bulbs), the time to watch for problems is when you change something. New bulbs, lowering the bulbs, etc. It's unlikely that a bulb will start causing problems all of a sudden.

If he's eating, and everything else is normal, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Oh really?? I have read all of these comments that the coil UVB bulbs can cause problems with their eyes and possible blindness?? So that is why I was looking to get rid of it.