Mercury Vapor Street Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
So my I was talking with my father the other day about some of the requirements for my tortoises and I commented on how my powersun was fairly expensive and I wish there was a way to get them cheaper. He is an electrician and has access to the Mercury Vapor Bulbs that are used in street lamps and can get them to me for much cheaper than the powersuns.

Has anyone had experience with this type of bulb before? I would need a ballast for the bulbs, but I work in an industry that gives me access to those fairly easily so that's not an issue. Will it give the same UVs, is it going to be too bright, or too hot?

I guess while I'm asking, what about High Pressure Sodium bulbs? Do they give off the appropriate UV rays as well?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
No. The reptile uv lamps are specifically designed to allow certain wavelengths of uv through. 'Regular' HID Lamps are designed to block uv (or are meant to be used in a fixture that blocks uv).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I am not mistaken, just because its a mercury vapor bulb, doesn't mean it as the uv. Also, I am sure they would be way to bright and hot. As for the pressure sodium bulbs, I doubt they are useable either.
If you search online for the mvb, you can usually find them fair,y cheap, 30-35 bucks and they last a year. If you get your tort outside for natural sunshine a few times a week, you don't need a UVB. Light at all.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
They will be living outside all summer so I'm not worried about that, and I get the powersuns on amazon for 45 or so, but I was hoping that I would be able to use the street lamp versions.
I was going to get a solarmeter and test some of the bulbs to see where they land but the solar meter is like $200-250 and lets be honest if I'm complaining about $45 bulbs I'm certainly not going to get a solarmeter at that price haha.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I have a 6.2 and 6.5, and happen to have an extra 400w low bay sitting in my garage. I'll hook it up tomorrow and see what they say, if only

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You would need multiple meters to ensure safety. An 'regular' HID lamp that is emitting uvb would also most likely be emitting uvc. That is why they are required to have safeguards to block uv. UVC can be very dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.