Mercury vapor bulb and sleep question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caricca12

5 Year Member
Okay so two things: I know that the coil UVB bulbs are bad For their eyes.. And people told me to get the mercury vapor bulbs. So I tried looking at a few pet stores but can't find them anywhere!!
Any suggestions as to where I could find some? And also my baby leopard (about a month old) does this kind of rocking motion when he sleeps... Is that normal? This is my first tortoise so I have no clue!

Thanks for everyone's help
Caroline

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Petco, petsmart should have the mvb. Otherwise order online. Tortoisesupply, which is also a forum member should have them. Also amazon.com. The sleeping and rocking, not sure what your talking about. Someone else may be able to answer that for you.

caricca12

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Petco, petsmart should have the mvb. Otherwise order online. Tortoisesupply, which is also a forum member should have them. Also amazon.com. The sleeping and rocking, not sure what your talking about. Someone else may be able to answer that for you.

Okay thanks for the bulb info, and its just kind of like a pulsing back and forth motion.. Idk that's the best I can describe it lol it's just like slow back and forth movement from his arms and legs but not actually walking anywhere, I hope it's normal!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If by rocking, you mean that his head bops...i believe that's just his breathing. Sometimes, when torts sleep, especially when they are young, they do this thing with their head. It's just their breathing. I don't think you should worry about it.

Now that you mentioned it's like a walk back and forth, I don't know. Perhaps, he's dreaming...i think it will go away soon. If not, let us know in about a week.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
where are you located?? I ordered mine from petsandponds.com its a Canadian site (does deliver to the states) best shipping price and lowest cost for zoo med and exo terra mvbs

caricca12

5 Year Member
Okay thanks, I will keep monitoring his sleeping to see if it continues. I'm from Columbus Ohio, so ill check and see if that website has the right lights to order!!

What's the general price range for the mvb?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Here in canada the zoo med at a reptile store easily 100 the exo terras 65 that web site a lot cheaper and only 9.99 for shipping in ccanada I can't speak for the states pricing

caricca12

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
Here in canada the zoo med at a reptile store easily 100 the exo terras 65 that web site a lot cheaper and only 9.99 for shipping in ccanada I can't speak for the states pricing

Oh my goodness that is expensive! Do they typically last a long time? I used to have lights for my bearded dragons that would burn out over a couple months which was awful!

caricca12

5 Year Member
Okay so this is the bulb I bought.. It says it is a self-ballasted mercury vapor bulb... Did I get the right thing?!

Thanks!

View attachment 38392

Attachments

• image-3821887341.png
    image-3821887341.png
    937.8 KB · Views: 1

caricca12

5 Year Member
For some reason the picture didn't upload before... But this is what it looks like!

Attachments

• image-3346008147.png
    image-3346008147.png
    937.8 KB · Views: 1

caricca12

5 Year Member
Okay hopefully now it will work! I feel like such an idiot Hahaha

It got cut off in the picture but the brand is exo-terra, 160 watt.

71tmog.jpg

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
caricca12 said:
Okay hopefully now it will work! I feel like such an idiot Hahaha

It got cut off in the picture but the brand is exo-terra, 160 watt.

71tmog.jpg

It is. All there in the picture but yes that is a MVB the kind I'm currently using my first one blew after a. Week had to exchange it under warrenty but my next buy will be a zoomed power sun people say its better. Both last 6 months then uvb decresses I believe could be wrong. Make sure when you hang it it is facing stright down no angles(it is all in the manual in the box)

caricca12

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
It is. All there in the picture but yes that is a MVB the kind I'm currently using my first one blew after a. Week had to exchange it under warrenty but my next buy will be a zoomed power sun people say its better. Both last 6 months then uvb decresses I believe could be wrong. Make sure when you hang it it is facing stright down no angles(it is all in the manual in the box)

Awesome thanks so much!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Be careful. The watts on that is 160w and may be too hot for your tort. Make sure you position it high enough and then measure the temp. If it's at the desired temp, then the height is right. If the temp is too warm/hot, you'll need to raise it up more until you achieve the desired temp. Also, make sure you use a lamp that will tolerate that limits of the heated bulb. In other words, the lamp should say max. 150 w or max 175 w. in order to avoid a potential fire hazard.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
sibi said:
Be careful. The watts on that is 160w and may be too hot for your tort. Make sure you position it high enough and then measure the temp. If it's at the desired temp, then the height is right. If the temp is too warm/hot, you'll need to raise it up more until you achieve the desired temp. Also, make sure you use a lamp that will tolerate that limits of the heated bulb. In other words, the lamp should say max. 150 w or max 175 w. in order to avoid a potential fire hazard.

Edit 160w dome/cage or higher flukers has a deep dpme rated 160 that I'm using but yes plz messure temps and pay close attention when you first install

caricca12

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
Edit 160w dome/cage or higher flukers has a deep dpme rated 160 that I'm using but yes plz messure temps and pay close attention when you first install

Yes yes I will be sure to do that when installing the lamp. Thanks again and I will post back with any further questions. You have been SO helpful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.