MEP Aretha

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I've been amazed at her color change over time... she arrived tiny and brown and now she's small and black.

aretha1.JPG
Taken the day she arrived

aretha2.jpg
Taken a few days ago.

My Russians are both adults and so haven't changed much, but my Redfoot and my Hingeback have essentially the same coloring and patterning as the day they came to live with me,

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
So beautiful and love the food you are feeding her!

She eats like I've never fed her... every time.

She gets greens every day, fruit or veg most days, animal protein 1-2 times a week, and kibble (either Mazuri M521 or Rep-Cal Forest Tortoise) 1-2 times each week... I often miss/skip a day each week, not quite on purpose.

I supplement all of the foods with dried plants of various sorts shaken over the food: hibiscus, rosebuds, moringa, nettle, raspberry leaves, wakame seaweed, echinacea, calendula, and dandelion leaves... I mix a scoop of each in a big mason jar and shake a bit over the food most days.

Jamie

Russiantortylady

Vermont
Can I ask you a question? Where do you buy your Substrate???? I have been buying the stuff at the pet stores and it is pretty expensive.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Can I ask you a question? Where do you buy your Substrate???? I have been buying the stuff at the pet stores and it is pretty expensive.

I buy orchid bark and cypress mulch at Home Depot, and I bought the coconut husk bedding online, from the manufacturer....

Jamie

Relic

Here
Can you post some photos of the set-up you have your MEP in? I plan on getting one next spring and was wondering how you have yours sorted out. That tort has grown so well, you must be doing it right.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've got her in a Vision enclosure, a 632.

IMG_20201030_154129~3.jpg

The substrate is a mix of cypress mulch, orchid bark, and coconut husk.

I keep the temperature at 75° as a baseline, but the UV spot brings the heat up during the day (I have a timer that had the light shine 12 hours a day, minus a bunch of 15 minute dark times).

The humidity is always above 80%. There are a number of hides and soaking spots in the enclosure.

I feed her lots of greens, some fruit and veggies, weekly animal protein, and mazuri 1-2 times a week.

Jamie

Relic

Here
I've got her in a Vision enclosure, a 632.

View attachment 311463

The substrate is a mix of cypress mulch, orchid bark, and coconut husk.

I keep the temperature at 75° as a baseline, but the UV spot brings the heat up during the day (I have a timer that had the light shine 12 hours a day, minus a bunch of 15 minute dark times).

The humidity is always above 80%. There are a number of hides and soaking spots in the enclosure.

I feed her lots of greens, some fruit and veggies, weekly animal protein, and mazuri 1-2 times a week.

Jamie
Thanks - that is a magnum set-up. I might have to change spouses to achieve that...

Russiantortylady

Vermont
She eats like I've never fed her... every time.

She gets greens every day, fruit or veg most days, animal protein 1-2 times a week, and kibble (either Mazuri M521 or Rep-Cal Forest Tortoise) 1-2 times each week... I often miss/skip a day each week, not quite on purpose.

I supplement all of the foods with dried plants of various sorts shaken over the food: hibiscus, rosebuds, moringa, nettle, raspberry leaves, wakame seaweed, echinacea, calendula, and dandelion leaves... I mix a scoop of each in a big mason jar and shake a bit over the food most days.

Jamie
HI Jamie, where o you buy that hybiscus mixture? SHe is GOREOUS what kind of Tort is she???? Can you send me the link the place where you buy that??