1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 11

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
This young lady terrified me this morning by hiding from me when it was time for breakfast and soaking.

I couldn't find her quickly, as is normal. I moved the maple branches in her cage around and still couldn't see her. I grabbed a headlamp and sorta climbed into the tank (it's really deep and somewhat dark in the corners) and still was unable to find her.

I took out all the branches and her hides and felt in all the depressions in the mulch I could see, to no avail.

Rather than lose my mind, although that came in a close second, I left everything out of the enclosure, put her meal inside, and left... Figuring she might come out once she smelled the yummies. I checked four times in two hours... nothing.

Finally, about to email my wife and son and ask if they'd moved her somewhere as a joke, I saw movement from it of the corner of my eye from my desk... She'd dug completely into the mulch by her swimming pool, leaving no sign at all.

Having seen her, I let out a huge sigh of relief and made a note that MEPs are apparently better at hiding than my redfoot or Russian.

Jamie

912ACAD6-A8DF-4C38-B8E6-52F9E6CB5C88.jpeg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
This is why they are sometimes referred to as the six-legged tortoise. In adults those back leg spurs are quite large.
Yes! My guys spurs are big now that my guys are pushing 15 inches. Its believed that in the wild the spurs help prevent them from sliding and falling off mountain slopes,

great little baby MEP they are a joy to keep

Kyle

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Oh my goodness! I was in suspense the entire time it took me to reach the end. So glad you found her. She sounds like an expert at being elusive already
This young lady terrified me this morning by hiding from me when it was time for breakfast and soaking.

I couldn't find her quickly, as is normal. I moved the maple branches in her cage around and still couldn't see her. I grabbed a headlamp and sorta climbed into the tank (it's really deep and somewhat dark in the corners) and still was unable to find her.

I took out all the branches and her hides and felt in all the depressions in the mulch I could see, to no avail.

Rather than lose my mind, although that came in a close second, I left everything out of the enclosure, put her meal inside, and left... Figuring she might come out once she smelled the yummies. I checked four times in two hours... nothing.

Finally, about to email my wife and son and ask if they'd moved her somewhere as a joke, I saw movement from it of the corner of my eye from my desk... She'd dug completely into the mulch by her swimming pool, leaving no sign at all.

Having seen her, I let out a huge sigh of relief and made a note that MEPs are apparently better at hiding than my redfoot or Russian.

Jamie

View attachment 280852

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn

Jamie

View attachment 280852
Omg this picture wouldnt load when you first posted it but I love it