Member visit

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

After reading how I was unfit to care for Bob I wasn't sure I wanted to share these with the group.
But...my sister asked that I share them and so I shall.
I recently had to drive to Yvonne's house in Calif to make a tortoise switch and visit her and while I was there I was also going to drive a couple hundred more miles to meet with Tom to go and see his home and the infamous "ranch" and what a visit it was! Most of the animals are at the ranch. But he had a dog kenneled at his house who was just amazing. Tom took him out and ran him through a series of exercises that the dog understood very well. He didn't hesitate at all and went from being a happy dog to an attack dog in a heart beat. Tom didn't have to tell this guy twice what to do. As a retired dog trainer I was very impressed. This dog is a worker and knows just what to do. There were several dogs there that Tom said were actors not pets and they know their position in life very well. They weren't barking or very excited at seeing strangers. Yet they were bright and paid attention to what was going on.
Tom is seriously good to look at and very social. He is friendly, intelligent and educated. It was very pleasant to visit with him. My main goal was to ride a camel and an elephant but unfortunately that was not to be. At first I was disappointed, but the visit was so much that the disappointment faded pretty fast.
I got a tour of his beautiful Southern Calif home with it's bright blue tiled pool. It was a very hot day but it was cool and dim inside the house. His 3 year old daughter Ava was going with us. She was bright and talkative and very well mannered.
So here are some pictures of what I saw...

I got to pet a Rhino, how cool was that...
2133lar.jpg

fe3wgm.jpg

He had herds of every kind of hoofed animal needed for a movie from camels, to goats, horses, oxen, buffalo,and too many more to list...
5n64pd.jpg

Big baby giraffe and zebra (beautiful black striped faces)...
4kbccn.jpg

Got to touch the giraffe's face...
s61xj8.jpg

OMG! A baby camel! How sweet is he? But I'm 5'8" and he was taller then me...
i1z72v.jpg

Such a beautiful face! All the animals are worked with so much that they can all be touched and petted and handled. They are all calm workers not pets...
2cibmfp.jpg

More of the herds...
ip2nx4.jpg

Need I say more???
2lcab0z.jpg

He had large herds of any kind of animal needed. All of the pens were clean, none had old poop or garbage in them. They were all big enough and the animals looked healthy and well cared for.
When I was shown his tortoises I didn't have my camera so I didn't get pictures of them, but that simply gives me an excuse to go back for another visit. They are again well cared for and in great pens with lots of room. Daisy even looks feminine and it was easy to tell she was a girl. I was surprised as I thought all tortoises looked the same. Daisy is a girl, no doubt!
We also got to go for an In n Out burger...Tom's revenge on me as the day before I had some teeth pulled and a surgery done in my mouth and could only have some fries and a shake! That's mean all right!
I got to see and pet the elephants and got elephant snot on my face but that will be a second thread tomorrow. Thanks Tom, it was wonderful and exciting and I loved every minute of it!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It makes me wish I had gone with you. If I could have wiggled my nose or crossed my arms and nodded my head and just automatically been there...but I really HATE to travel on the highway. Barn sour. Love the pictures!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Dang, but you do get to do all the fun stuff! :D You know in that horse picture? If it had been me visiting, Tom would of had me in the lot with therm and once I was in the same spot as your picture showed, he would have given the signal to kick. :rolleyes::D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Maggie...what a great visit, and I loved all the pictures. You are a lucky gal for sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I did too. Its fun for me to see things through "fresh" eyes again. When you see these amazing animals all day every day, you just sort of lose track of how special they really are. You'll have to come back for the camel ride.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Maggie--- Thanks for sharing your visit! It certainly puts "new light" on behind the scenes.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Great pics, thanks for sharing.
I especially love the giraffe wearing the fly mask.
I've only ever seen it on horses.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
maggie3fan said:
Tom is seriously good to look at

Does he look better than David Hasselhoff in a speedo?
2133lar.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Honestly I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing david hasseholf in a speedo, just sayin.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Maggie wrote:Member visit
After reading how I was unfit to care for Bob I wasn't sure I wanted to share these with the group
Just curious--- why does someone feel you are "unfit" to care for BOB?

M

Maggie Cummings

Annieski said:
Maggie wrote:Member visit
After reading how I was unfit to care for Bob I wasn't sure I wanted to share these with the group
Just curious--- why does someone feel you are "unfit" to care for BOB?

ask Tyler or Candy,
I used to write what I thought were silly entertaining stories about the stuff that Bob did. I would take a small thing and exaggerate it a lot or a little and make a funny story, but they were taken as Bob was too much for me to handle instead of the funny stories I was aiming for. They don't know me or Bob or how Bob is kept so they were just making it up that I can't handle him. It's obvious that neither has ever had to live with or handle a large growing animal. I told stories about how he escapes but then I had a secure fence built so he cannot escape now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yourlocalpoet said:
Wow, can I come to your house please Tom?

Yep. But, that's a long flight to come see a few animals.:D

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
maggie3fan said:
ask Tyler or Candy,
I used to write what I thought were silly entertaining stories about the stuff that Bob did. I would take a small thing and exaggerate it a lot or a little and make a funny story, but they were taken as Bob was too much for me to handle instead of the funny stories I was aiming for. They don't know me or Bob or how Bob is kept so they were just making it up that I can't handle him. It's obvious that neither has ever had to live with or handle a large growing animal. I told stories about how he escapes but then I had a secure fence built so he cannot escape now. Tyler does not care for me since I complained about one of his products, so since then he has it in for me and will say anything to make me look bad. Were he a decent businessman he would have either made it up for that one bad product or simply ignore me, but he prefers to harass me.

This is news to me.... I suggested that some people aren't cut out for sulcata ownership, and Maggie kinda got used as an example since Candy said she has a hard time with Bob, that was it. I don't have it in for anybody, and Maggie, you're still my buddy just like Yvonne and Meg, even though we've all had our differences in the past. I still think Candy is crazy, but she's a nice lady and I don't have a desire or the time to "cut down" anybody. Sorry this is off topic. Great pics of Tom's place.

dmmj said:
Honestly I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing david hasseholf in a speedo, just sayin.

Don't worry, it got deleted.... But the posts about Tyler being an aggressive bully are here to stay. Welcome to TFO!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
TylerStewart said:
maggie3fan said:
ask Tyler or Candy,
dmmj said:

Don't worry, it got deleted.... But the posts about Tyler being an aggressive bully are here to stay. Welcome to TFO!
Great now it looks like I spend all day thinking of david hasslehoff in a speedo. :)

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Tyler, I'm sorry your post was deleted. I've taken steps to assure that doesn't happen again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
[
Great now it looks like I spend all day thinking of david hasslehoff in a speedo. :)

OMG! D...I can't stop laughing.. that is so funny.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Tom.. is that where I think it is? Lost of charred looking trees in the background...
Maggie.. you are one lucky lady!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.