Member visit... elephants

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

My dream for a long time was to be close enough to an elephant to ride it and to look into it's eyes close and to touch it and feel it's trunk. I wanted it to smell me and relate to me somehow. I wanted to get to know an elephant. So here they are...2 big full grown elephants and this is their greeting. They obviously were welcoming us and wanted to commune with us...

23h0e2q.jpg

Look at them reaching out to touch us...
2gw9r7t.jpg

They were so wild yet so tame. Being that close to them was a thrill for me. They smelled like Sulcata and they felt so wild. I can't put into words how I felt standing there next to them. All the sudden I wasn't as sick anymore and here it is, it actually happened...an elephant was smelling my face and sniffing me all over. There is just one problem...I always thought an elephants truck was dry, but it's not, it's full of green and yellow snot so here am I getting elephant snot all over my face...
2r7om7c.jpg

Awesome, what a feeling! It was every thing I wanted and more (the snot), hahaha. I actually didn't want the snot, but that part was alright with me. An elephants skin is more like leather then you can imagine, tough and rough with tiny wires growing out all over...it was too cool for words!!!
2cnb86h.jpg

2uidenq.jpg

I couldn't hear all the commands, but this was probably "Trunks up"...
2898rar.jpg

She wanted my camera...
2yyv4no.jpg

This was another command I couldn't hear, but they both opened their ears and held them that way for a bit...
2vlnple.jpg

33n8cv6.jpg

142ebvc.jpg

1zxbck1.jpg

f3qtv.jpg

33wplaa.jpg

When I looked into the Rhino's eyes there wasn't much there, but an elephant is very intelligent and you can see that and feel how they are. I looked into the eyes of one and she looked back at me. She looked into my eyes and she held really still while we got to know each other. It was a glorious experience. Seeing all the other animals was a thrill but meeting the elephants was the experience of a lifetime. I feel such gratitude to Tom for giving me this experience. It's something not everyone gets to have. So, thank you so much Tom, even sick I enjoyed the hell out of it. I appreciate you taking so much time out of your day to do that for me, you will never know how much I loved it all and how much meeting the elephants meant to me. I am extremely grateful to you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
well if you want to get near elephants you gotta love their snot as well, I am hoping to visit tom's ranch one day soon so I can learn about roach raising the only problem is I may not want to go home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:
well if you want to get near elephants you gotta love their snot as well, I am hoping to visit tom's ranch one day soon so I can learn about roach raising the only problem is I may not want to go home.

You aren't that far David. Come on up.

You are welcome Maggie. It was a pleasure for me because I knew how much it meant to you.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am so happy for you Maggie, and I thank Tom also for giving you such a wonderful time. You deserve it. I can't help being a little jealous though.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
OMG!!! A picture of Maggie?!?!!? The pigs are flying!!! or its really cold somewhere...:)
Tom,, isnt that one of the best things about doing what you do? Being able to share with other and then being reminded, thru them how lucky you are? We do forget.. its been a while for me.. and I hope to get down there some time as well.. I spoke to "him' the other day.. he sounds good, busy and lots of stuff happening! Are you going to be part of it all? Daily life?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the first thing I thought too, Laura (somewhere pigs are flying). Great pictures, Maggie. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HAH, I thought that about the pictures too!

How wonderful Maggie, I am so happy to see your dream fulfilled!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
That was so touching, thank you Maggie & Tom :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie, I am so glad you got to do this :). It feels so good doing something that makes you forget all the problems, I am very happy for you!
I always thought the trump was dry too lol.
Tom that was amazing of you :)

franeich

5 Year Member
It must be pretty amazing have such a big strong animal listen to commands and do what you say.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, obviously I am ridiculously late to this party.

What great photos of Maggie and the magnificent beasts.

Typical of Tom to make light of the favor...we know how unbusy you really are, chum!

Now, I want to know how Maggie did viewing the roach collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.