Megatron Photo Album

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I really love the last 2 pics, the black & brown in his shell is so pretty! Love his name too by the way!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
sonykurniawan said:
Hi Yellow Turtle, thankyou for the update. As usual... Very nice pics:D
Keep them coming
Hi sony. Thank you very much and waiting for you to update your radiated pictures as well.

LisaTurtle said:
I really love the last 2 pics, the black & brown in his shell is so pretty! Love his name too by the way!
Thank you and yes, I like his name as well. I'm curious as well with the colour phase there, but I think at the end they should turn all black.

hanzel

5 Year Member
your doing great job yellow turtle,megatron has grown well,smooth shell
pliz keep update your megatron :)

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Great job !!

Have you noticed or recorded somewhere how much growth your " little guy" has grown on a yearly basis ?
Growth rate in Asia are faster as growth season is at least 10 mths per year as compared to 4-6 mths in the US ( even with animals maintained 24/7 indoors )

Correct me if I am wrong on growth period per year or we could compare notes on growth rate of several species of hatchlings ie sulcata , Indian star , elongata , Radiata ......... etc

Cheers

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
hanzel said:
your doing great job yellow turtle,megatron has grown well,smooth shell
pliz keep update your megatron :)
Thank you and yes, I'll try to keep continuous update.

emystiong said:
Great job !!

Have you noticed or recorded somewhere how much growth your " little guy" has grown on a yearly basis ?
Growth rate in Asia are faster as growth season is at least 10 mths per year as compared to 4-6 mths in the US ( even with animals maintained 24/7 indoors )

Correct me if I am wrong on growth period per year or we could compare notes on growth rate of several species of hatchlings ie sulcata , Indian star , elongata , Radiata ......... etc

Cheers

Thanks Sam.

I haven't really noticed any difference in the growth rates between rainy and dry seasons for my aldabra. Because I see that this aldabra really eats a lot and the factor I monitor is the more I give it high protein diet like mazuri, the faster their growth rate.

But I do see faster growth rate on my leopard tortoise during the dry season. I think the hot temperature accelerates the growth rate and because his diet not only relies on natural diet.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Was asking as I can get 3-3.5" growth per year for the first 4 or 5 years on a 2-3" hatchlings Aldabra without distorting their shell .

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383909869.830082.jpg
This one about 18" now got it as a hatchling back in early 2008 !!

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emystiong said:
Was asking as I can get 3-3.5" growth per year for the first 4 or 5 years on a 2-3" hatchlings Aldabra without distorting their shell .

This one about 18" now got it as a hatchling back in early 2008 !!

Cheers

So far I've never seen 2-3" aldabra sold here in my country.

My aldabra is around 3.5-4" when I got him. My average growth is 1 cm per month, so I can achieve 4.5" per year with pretty smooth growth.

I tried to accelerate the growth once using mazuri and greens as staple diet. I could achieve up to 2 cm per month. But I started to see pyramiding occurred, so I went back to heavy fiber diet for now.

And, that's a really beautiful aldabra you show us. You should show more and bigger pictures of it (them) :D

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Your result from 1 specimen only - after you got more and try grow them at 4.5" per year you will know that's too much growth !!

I am speaking on average for this sp under my care .

Sulcata 'a growth are fast too but can't really match those of an aldabran !!

Cheers

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emystiong said:
Your result from 1 specimen only - after you got more and try grow them at 4.5" per year you will know that's too much growth !!

I am speaking on average for this sp under my care .

Sulcata 'a growth are fast too but can't really match those of an aldabran !!

Cheers

Yes I'm trying to get more, but so far I can't really find a smooth one. They usually already have some pyramiding and I don't want to correct it.

I wonder what Greg's aldabras growth rate for hatchling and juvenile. Also if Kelly can chime in, as he also just has a hatchling. But I remember Kelly's aldabra growth rate is pretty fast and smooth too.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384323308.544959.jpg

Best is to get them when they still brown ( they turn black in a few weeks ) like these !!

Male grow faster ? Even as hatchlings ? Have not raise one to adulthood so can't say much .

Maybe Greg can chip in on growth rate of both sexes .

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emystiong said:
Best is to get them when they still brown ( they turn black in a few weeks ) like these !!

Male grow faster ? Even as hatchlings ? Have not raise one to adulthood so can't say much .

Maybe Greg can chip in on growth rate of both sexes .

Cheers

Lol, I'd definitely get more if I can find brown ones like that. We have none of that here. Usually the ones sold here are around 9 cm and almost all of them have started pyramiding.

Oh well, I hope Greg come in and share more of his experience, too :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Some small updates for today.

Eating his daily diet of hay + weeds

Beggar face, food please...

Butt shot~

He does drink a lot!

His measurement today is 22.5 cm SCL.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
apromann4 said:
Very nice, i wish i can hv one giant aldabra too

I wish everyone can have at least one giant aldabra in his house too :D

Megatron moving around his bucket during soaking.

This is the moment he finally stop moving. Well, after all poo come out :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
That growth looks great!

slow and steady :)

* Awesome!

2j4q45j.jpg